Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert USB to RS485 and back again

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

So I want to run a hub remotely from a computer and then connected to the hub have a number of USB sound cards.

My only problem is the distance limits of USB. I wonder if there is a device that could manage the USB signals and transmit over full-duplex 485?I could require anything up to about 70m and I do not want to have any unnecessary hardware at the hub end of the run.

Any ideas appreciated.

It's ok I think I have found the perfect device. Was using the wrong search terms really :-/

These are another option - remote USB over a network, wired or wireless.
**broken link removed**

I did test one with a USB sound card module a year or so ago and it worked fine.

Re. multiple USB sound devices, note that some makers do not bother with proper unique IDs in USB devices that they only expect to be used singly and the drivers cannot handle multiple instances.
I'd suggest just trying two together to see if they work before buying many.

Also consider audio interfaces intended for music production if you need a lot of audio channels.
You can get those with many input and output channels and exceptionally high quality compared to PC sound card audio.
The USB3 Presonus studio 192 unit I have has 26 audio inputs and 32 outputs.

[You can also get direct ethernet connected audio interfaces, though they are still in the early days and expensive!]

These are another option - remote USB over a network, wired or wireless.
**broken link removed**

I did test one with a USB sound card module a year or so ago and it worked fine.

Re. multiple USB sound devices, note that some makers do not bother with proper unique IDs in USB devices that they only expect to be used singly and the drivers cannot handle multiple instances.
I'd suggest just trying two together to see if they work before buying many.

Also consider audio interfaces intended for music production if you need a lot of audio channels.
You can get those with many input and output channels and exceptionally high quality compared to PC sound card audio.
The USB3 Presonus studio 192 unit I have has 26 audio inputs and 32 outputs.

[You can also get direct ethernet connected audio interfaces, though they are still in the early days and expensive!]
Thanks for your input. I will certainly look in to the USB3 Presonus or similar! We just want a crude multi-track recording ability at the moment without any great expense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back