Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert a 240vac lcd tv to 12vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 240v ac lcd tv that has a brick power supply in the middle of the cord that supplys 12v dc to the tv and was woundering if it would be possible to run it off a 12v battery for use in a motor home. maby with a small regulator circuit. i would prefer not to use an inverter if possible as i am on a tight budget

depending on make and model and the total current the lcd uses during normal operation if its rated at 12v then it should work ok runninng off a single 12v battery-if you look at the powersupply it should give you an idea of the current requirements for yr set-do make sure you feed the set correctly polarity wise because most lcds will object to reversal of the supply and stop working if you make an incorrect connection supply wise.........

I don't see why not.

You shouldn't need a regulator.

You'll need to add a fuse though and maybe consider a transient suppressor.

I would add a regulator, so if the motor is running and the battery is being charged you don't over voltage your unit.

Adding a LDO probably wouldn't do any harm but in my experiance most 12V appliances tend to be all right up to 15V or so.

Adding a LDO probably wouldn't do any harm but in my experiance most 12V appliances tend to be all right up to 15V or so.

Like blenders and toasters? I think it would be unwise to expect a LCD TV to run outside its specified range of voltage.

Like blenders and toasters? I think it would be unwise to expect a LCD TV to run outside its specified range of voltage.
while the LCD TV would have a front end power converter, it would definitely have a Voltage range around 12V DC.

But, more dangerous are the spikes that the motor's dynamo or the other loads produce. Once the op can take care of the possible spikes, perhaps he can use it without any further regulation, I feel.

while the LCD TV would have a front end power converter, it would definitely have a Voltage range around 12V DC.
All SMPS ICs I can think of, that take 12V will work up to 15V and they would have used capacitors rated to at least 16V.

But, more dangerous are the spikes that the motor's dynamo or the other loads produce. Once the op can take care of the possible spikes, perhaps he can use it without any further regulation, I feel.
I agree, that's why you need transient protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back