Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert 24 vdc solar/battery system to power 12 vdc 5000w inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeE1959

Best cheep way to convert 24 vdc solar/battery system to power 12 vdc 5000w inverter cant seem to find a dc to dc converter for 100 amps. And cant get multiple small converters to work. Or mite it be better to put panles and batteries in series to some higher voltage and then convert it.

Last edited:
Easy just split up the 24 volt array into a 12 volt one......

Impossible the panels are 24 volt panels. And if the voltage feeding the Inverter drops to low the invert turns off.
Need a good 12.5v to keep running

Are your 24V batteries actually 24V each or two, 12V batteries in series?

John

Can you not run two, 12V inverters off that? Or, get a 24V DC motor and run an AC generator directly.

John

I don't need 2 inverters and I still have 24v panels, I can't just break them in half to make 2 12v outputs.

Last edited:
So whats wrong with using the 24 volt panels to charge the system at 12 volts other than the panels wont be at their optimum efficiency?

Or for that matter using a MPPT type switching power supply to optimize the 24 volt panels power output specifically for 12 volt battery charging?

kind of curious to see a 5000 watt 12 volt power inverter though being the starter motor on our big Allis Chalmers diesel tractor is rated similar.

What size of cables does that run on, 4/0? :confused:

You don't need 4/0 for just 100 A. AWG 1 is rated at a little over 100 A.

I am beginning to feel it is a simple problem in search of a complicated solution.

John

Oops, I was misled by the need for 100A and 5000W with a 12V supply. Sorry.

Last edited:
1. that would be to high for a 12v charger/control
2. That would mean buying a mppt charge controler
3. Yes 4/0 with 54 batteries to supply the power if needed

The most the system draws is about 1000w so I'm only looking for 100 amp solution.

Last edited:
On the back of the solar panel, you may find a terminal junction box.
By setting the jumpers inside this box, you may get the voltage you need.

Last edited:
And cant get multiple small converters to work.
Why can't you get multiple small converters to work? You should be able to use multiple small input-regulated (or MPPT; or load-sharing) converters to work just fine.

can you connect a 24 vdc 200w solar panel in series with a 12 vdc 200w solar panel to get a 36 vdc system

can you connect a 24 vdc 200w solar panel in series with a 12 vdc 200w solar panel to get a 36 vdc system

No.

Generally speaking, you can connect things in parallel that have the same voltage. You can connect things in series that have the same current. Power is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back