Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control Home Appliances With Cell Phone and Internet of Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parth86

Project : Control Home Appliances from anywhere outside world

I am just looking way to design project in efficient way. I am showing my way of thinking. If I am wrong somewhere then please correct me.

I think I can design this project in two ways

First method : Cell phone ----by making phone calls or sending message ---- GPS + GSM + Home Appliances

Second method : PC/Cell Phone ------ internet -------------- Raspberry / ESP-8266 + relay + Home Appliances

I think first method is more efficient then the second because the cost of first method is very low then second method. so I am thinking first method is best method for controlling Home Appliances from anywhere.

What do you think, How will you control Home Appliances from anywhere?

Your first method requires a sim for the GSM which will incur a cost.

The second (AFAIA) requires a server to act as a go between.

I currently have a $5 wemos board that acts as a server and can be controlled from my phone/tablet but only via wifi. If I had a server available I could do it from anywhere.

Mike.

Your first method requires a sim for the GSM which will incur a cost.

The second (AFAIA) requires a server to act as a go between.

I currently have a $5 wemos board that acts as a server and can be controlled from my phone/tablet but only via wifi. If I had a server available I could do it from anywhere.

Mike.

The range of wifi is not far away, so I think we can control up to a limited distance.

Which method will you recommend ?

Won't you also need a return path for messages so that, for example, if you remotely command the central heating to switch on then you receive confirmation that it has actually switched on?

Project : Control Home Appliances from anywhere outside world

I am just looking way to design project in efficient way. I am showing my way of thinking. If I am wrong somewhere then please correct me.

I think I can design this project in two ways

First method : Cell phone ----by making phone calls or sending message ---- GPS + GSM + Home Appliances

Second method : PC/Cell Phone ------ internet -------------- Raspberry / ESP-8266 + relay + Home Appliances

I think first method is more efficient then the second because the cost of first method is very low then second method. so I am thinking first method is best method for controlling Home Appliances from anywhere.

What do you think, How will you control Home Appliances from anywhere?

It's not something we need to 'think' about, it's already commonplace, you use an ESP8266 (no need whatsoever for a Raspberry PI) and a relay - and it's ridiculously cheap to do.

Here's a nice cheap and simple item to play with:

https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Wi-Fi-Wireless-Switch-For-Smart-Home-With-ABS-Shell-p-1019971.html

Only £4.02, and includes ESP8266, relay, mains PSU, case, and all other components - and ready built :D

It comes set up for a specific operation system via a SMART phone, but you can easily reprogram it to be anything you want, there's lot of info on the net about how to do it. You could even reprogram it to be controlled via voice commends from Amazon Alexa, although that's already possible once it's set up via it's app anyway.

I am looking the answer of this question because the same question was asked to me in interview. I have explain my point of view. what could be correct answer for this question ?

The module Nigel linked is from iTead Studios, the Sonoff series.

This module is but one of many, with new ones coming out all the time. This one is spliced in line with thr device to be controlled's power cords, but there are also plug-in sockets, lamp sockets and wall switches. Modules are available for low voltage DC - I have one controlling a USB string of lights and another a peizo beeper, for those times when I'm ignoring my phone ;)

The software and firmware is updated frequently. These devices can also be controlled by Google Assistant and Alexa. "Basement lights on" sure makes it easy to walk into a room!

Although this doesn't answer the OP's question, it does show the successful implement of a design used around the world. And for the price you'd pay the traditional sources to control one lamp, you can control devices throughout your home.

I am a very satisfied Sonoff customer.

I am looking the answer of this question because the same question was asked to me in interview. I have explain my point of view. what could be correct answer for this question ?

The answer depends entirely on what the interviewer happens to want, I've already explained how it's done, cheaply and effectively. GSM modems were a crude solution in the past, and still have some applications, but IoT isn't really one of them.

The answer depends entirely on what the interviewer happens to want, I've already explained how it's done, cheaply and effectively. GSM modems were a crude solution in the past, and still have some applications, but IoT isn't really one of them.
I just took example of Home Appliances just for easy understanding. I have clearly mention my point and given reason why it will be best.

I am looking answer from you that how you will do this and what will be the reason behind this. Which one method will you use to control any device like water pump, camera, motor?

Last edited:
I just took example of Home Appliances just for easy understanding. I have clearly mention my point and given reason why it will be best.

I am looking answer from you that how you will do this and what will be the reason behind this. Which one method will you use to control any device like water pump, camera, motor?

It varies completely on the exact location, the infrastructure available, and exactly what you're trying to control or read.

It varies completely on the exact location, the infrastructure available, and exactly what you're trying to control or read.
Now I am feeling that, I didn't explain my question correctly. I asked the same question three times But I did not find the answer, that I was looking for

If you have internet both ends an esp8266 will do the job, the esp can be programmed to provide a web page with buttons on for controlling your devices.
If theres no internet then an arduino uno and a mobile phone gsm interface will do so long as you have mobile access.
If you have neither of these then you'll need some radio setup.
The first 2 are cheap, the third depending on range will require expensive kit and a radio licence.

PC/Cell Phone ------ internet -------------- Raspberry / ESP-8266 + relay + Home Appliances
Here is a board I am looking at. I want to put many relays on a wireless network. I have the PC/Cell/Raspberry on the network and can get in/out to the internet.
**broken link removed**
upload_2018-1-2_9-2-43.png

Here is a board I am looking at. I want to put many relays on a wireless network. I have the PC/Cell/Raspberry on the network and can get in/out to the internet.
dr pepper answer was satisfactory

Okay again I am trying to explain in different way, let's say you are working as project developer in any company and I am your client, I am farmer My requirement is that, I want to operate my water pump for irrigation from outside world. Project should be low cost, efficient cheap

How will you make this project?

Last edited:
water pump for irrigation
From my experiance, water pumps do not have a network. In many cases they do not have (110/220) power. We had pumps that ran on 440 three phase. (years ago) One problem is to get 5/3.3 volts to run you "computer". I like using a cell phone power supply. 110/220 to 5V.

I would use GSM+small micro computer and a relay. In my case I use a 5 volt relay that is too small to run the pump. The small relay runs a 220V relay that can turn the pump on/off. I now have 220V pumps.

My system uses a 5V supply and many relays. The relays switch 24VAC because the valves run on 24VAC. One of the relays switches 24VAC to drive the BIG relay for the motor.

In my case, I added extra logic. If the well runs out of water it shuts off the power to save the pump. I measure water level in the well. Measure max and min pressure.

In you application, I would use some switches to the micro computer so a person can turn on/off the pump. Probably some LEDs to say power on and pump on.

I would use GSM+small micro computer and a relay. In my case I use a 5 volt relay that is too small to run the pump. The small relay runs a 220V relay that can turn the pump on/off. I now have 220V pumps.
What do you mean by micro computer (esp8266 /raspberry pi / 8051 / ARM/ ardunio )?

You should look at examples of what's being done now. I mentioned Sonoff modules. Look at any of the hundreds of YouTube videos on the Sonoff and you'd know what an ESP8266 microcontroller is. Hint - it's probably the biggest thing in IoT devices.

I like the Wemos Mini board. Size of a postage stamp, Wifi, 80MHz, 4M Flash and under US$5.

Mike.

What do you mean by micro computer (esp8266 /raspberry pi / 8051 / ARM/ ardunio )?
Yes, any of these.
I think you need a small computer that can talk over the serial port to a "cell phone". The computer needs to understand commands. "turn on pump" and "turn off pump". "is pump on?", "how long has pump been on?", The computer must understand passwords. Be expandable. You will be asked to add functions.
8051 is old. A 8051 or PIC or small Ardunio will work.
Ardunio is OK.
Raspberry Pi 0. You probably don't need a keyboard, display, WiFi. But these things are almost free because the "Pi 0" is low cost.
ARM board costs about the same amount as a Pi 0, and a Ardunio.

If you need to use a network; then think about a 8266 or Pi (0 or 3) If there is a 10% chance that you need to be on a network then plan on a computer that talks WiFi.

I am using a Pi3 because it is good for developing. Add a keyboard and display then write your code on the Pi3. Then in production back down to a Pi0. If no WiFi and cost is very important then use any 8 bit computer.

You should look at examples of what's being done now. I mentioned Sonoff modules. Look at any of the hundreds of YouTube videos on the Sonoff and you'd know what an ESP8266 microcontroller is. Hint - it's probably the biggest thing in IoT devices.
I have also started work on mini wemos esp8266 board. I am getting confuse because I am asking only one method

Yes, any of these.
I think you need a small computer that can talk over the serial port to a "cell phone". The computer needs to understand commands. "turn on pump" and "turn off pump". "is

Question 1 : Which method is most useful to control water pump for irrigation from anywhere

Note : Please select only one option

Option [1] Cell phone ---- ---- GPS + GSM + 8 bit controller + relay + water pump

Option [2] PC/Cell Phone ------ internet -------------- Raspberry / ESP-8266 + relay + water pump

Answer : .......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back