Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

contact isolating resin or glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello, any recommendation for a resin to isolates reliably wire contacts e.g. two wires soldered together used outdoors?
Preferably something I can buy from eBay
Thanks

Thanks. heat-shrink is not 100% impermeable. Please have a look at the example picture, I need same kind of coating. I could then have a heat-shrink above for a better mechanical protection

IMG_20200608_133742.jpg

The stuff in the picture looks like some form of epoxy or polyurathane resin.
That is used for cable joints, but normally only on large cables.
eg.

Normal heatshrink is not weatherproof, but the adhesive lined type Nigel mentioned should be, if you select the appropriate size and have a decent overlap on to the cable jacket.

Self-amalgamating tape is also suitable for outdoor weatherproofing.
It needs a protective layer of normal PVC tape over it, if it's in a position exposed to sunlight.

Stretch the stuff as you apply it and make sure there are 2 - 3 layers everywhere, including the cable for an inch or two beyond the joint or connector.

It very quickly blends in to itself and becomes a one-piece rubber shell or sleeve over the whole thing.

What I have used in the past is a coating of RTV followed by a covering of heavy wall heatshrink.
When it sets, this generally makes for a water proof join.
Max.

Thanks. heat-shrink is not 100% impermeable. Please have a look at the example picture, I need same kind of coating. I could then have a heat-shrink above for a better mechanical protection

Adhesive lined ones are water proof, which is why we use them. As for filling a 'hole' as in the picture, any of the usual potting compounds would do the job (we also use those), or just mix some epoxy resin up and use that.

As rjenkinsgb mentioned, self-amalamating tape is amazing, and makes for a nice water tight joint - we also use that at work :D

To make a watertight connection that will survive submersion in a hundred feet of salt water, roll tight-fitting o-rings on to the cable an inch or more back from the spliced area, and then shrink adhesive-lined heatshrink extending at least an inch past the o-rings over the entire splice.

We used this method for connecting hydrophones for sonar trials. The o-ring provides good contact area for the adhesive.

I have used "paint on electrical tape" for many things including repairing an outdoor extension cord.
Don't.

It's doesn't last long at all.
Doesn't like sunlight or water, or existing out of the bottle.

I was not aware of tubing called "adhesive lined heat-shrink sleeving" and was only aware of regular heat shrink

What does the "lined" stand for in this technology?

I would put any good quality and well-mixed epoxy on it.
Do you mean dual component epoxy glue like 3m's or araldite?
yes! Easy. Just mix well, then mix a bit more. Most people don't mix epoxy well enough.
Use a piece of scrap plastic or metal, squeeze out equal Sized dots. Then mix horizontally, across both dots, then pile up the flattened mess into a pile, stir it again until flat, pile up, repeat until you just start to notice the viscosity build. Then quickly apply.

Thanks to all the participents to this thread for your help. I think that the heat shrink sleeve with inner adhesive layer should the the job. Bought few on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back