Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

contact arcing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you measured the current at 4mA. Reed switches require a minimun wetting current to keep clean though 4mA should be plenty.

I think that Ross is close to the answer.
There is insufficient current in the circuit to properly "wet" the contact.
However, ploughing through the manufacturers bravado and bluster in their datasheet, it infers that 2mA should be OK, if I decipher the data correctly.

How about asking the manufacturer?
They seem to offer a 5 year warranty, present their applications guys with the facts and ask why their switches are failing.

JimB

Reed contacts switch pretty slow (especially the release), and the "magnet on a valve" construction probably leads to very slow changes in the magentic field. If the switching speed is low and you have 31v across the contact you might get some arcing causing the degradation problem.

Maybe try changing it to 2mA contact switching but at a low voltage like 5v. And add a nice slow RCR filter across the contacts which should make arcing nonexistant.

Then you only have to worry about mechanical wear which at slow switching speeds should be very low.

I would never have switched 31v dry with no snubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back