Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusing with this text... Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

We know that:

Lagging power factor means that current lags voltage, implying an inductive load.
Leading power factor means that current leads voltage, implying a capacitive load.

An inductive load is represented by R + jX
An capacitive load is represented by R - jX

The attached text was copied from a textbook. Do you think there are mistakes in the text and figures?

For example:

... line-5 of paragraph P1
For a load of capacitor VAr is produced and considered negative or lagging as in Figure 3.10.

... line-2 of paragraph P2
A capacitive load on the other hand will be represented by R-jX as shown in Figure 3.12 and hence produces lagging VArs.

Pls check if there are other mistakes.

Please advise. I'm confused now....

Thanks

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You need to find a better text book. This one is very confusing and the author's invention of VAr is ********, in my opinion. What you need to know is that the current in an inductive circuit lags because the magnetic field of the inductor produces a back emf which reduces the effective applied voltage as the voltage increases. When the voltage decreases, the magnetic field collapses which induces an emf that keeps the current flowing.

With capacitive load, the current flow into or out of the capacitor is proportional to the rate of change of voltage. Since the rate of change (for a sinewave) is maximum at zero volts, the current is maximum and 90 degrees leading.

Power factor is just another way of stating the phase angle.

I hope this helps your understanding.

I agree with you that the VAr given in the text book is very confusing. Would u pls help me in the following threads:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/i-want-a-200watts-amplifier-circuit.19820/
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/aiwa-ad-r550z-schematic-please-upload.19819/

Thanks.

Russlk said:
You need to find a better text book. This one is very confusing and the author's invention of VAr is ********, in my opinion. What you need to know is that the current in an inductive circuit lags because the magnetic field of the inductor produces a back emf which reduces the effective applied voltage as the voltage increases. When the voltage decreases, the magnetic field collapses which induces an emf that keeps the current flowing.

With capacitive load, the current flow into or out of the capacitor is proportional to the rate of change of voltage. Since the rate of change (for a sinewave) is maximum at zero volts, the current is maximum and 90 degrees leading.

Power factor is just another way of stating the phase angle.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Whats do emf stand for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back