Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conductivity of cheap 'soldering paste (flux)' in extremely high impedance circuit board (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

Hi,
Some said that almost any flexible thing (like rubber, wood, wire insulator plastic etc) might be a conductor in extremely high impedance matter.

I made some basic circuit like 3 transistors static/active line detector in darlington mood or jFET circuits to detect static charges etc. I assembled the circuit it board (a cheap board which has already holes) but got always ON output. Then I assembled the circuit without board (lead to lead connection) then it started to work. I guess the board is not conductive but I am suspecting to my cheap soldering paste (flux). Is it conductive in such extremely high impedance circuitry? I hope some have good chemistry knowledge. :)

You don;t know the troubles you have to go though with high Z stuff. Phenolic at 10-11 ohm-cm is pretty crappy. See **broken link removed**.

Hey I could measure the conductivity of a piece of paper at work. A film of Acetone on glass is conductive.

It's probably the board material. You might be better off with FR-4 and Teflon/PTFE standoffs when required. Guarding is also important.
The flux will be conductive too if not removed. So will, believe it or not, fingerprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back