Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

conductive adhesive !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike47

Hi

I have a slight problem with a component on the motherboard of my dell laptop , I was repairing the power socket and I must of knocked moved one of the small ,( I think they are capacitors ) , now I seem to recall awile back that I tried to solder one of these back on and melted the brown stuff that is between the contacts , so I was wondering if that could of been corect !! , I dont want to put the soldering iron to it , to see , maybe someone know's what these are , it only seems to be a thin coating of solder or whatever it is on the sides of this component , anyway I have attached a photo of it , ( in position ) .

cheers

spike

Attachments

• capacitor to solder or glue.jpg
    capacitor to solder or glue.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 215
The picture isn't taken from close enough to see whether you've soldered it correctly.

Yes, they are ceramic capacitors. They are large and probably have a high value >1µF.

The picture isn't taken from close enough to see whether you've soldered it correctly.

Yes, they are ceramic capacitors. They are large and probably have a high value >1µF.

Hi
I have'nt soldered it , that is what I was asking if I could without melting it , if you say that it ceramic then it wont melt !! , will it .

cheers

spike

Sorry I don't understand what the problem is.

If you've knocked the capacitor and it's not working, then the chances are you've also damaged the trace on the PCB. It's very unlikely that you've ruined the electrical conductivity, just by knocking it. Test between the capacitor's terminal and the PCB track for continuity with a DVM.

Sorry I don't understand what the problem is.

If you've knocked the capacitor and it's not working, then the chances are you've also damaged the trace on the PCB. It's very unlikely that you've ruined the electrical conductivity, just by knocking it. Test between the capacitor's terminal and the PCB track for continuity with a DVM.

Hi

When I noticed it had been disturbed , I could see that the joint on both sides had cracked , I just moved it back in position , but it won't have the same conection has it had before , I wanted to know if I could re-solder it , but I seem to rembember awile back that I tried to solder one of these and it melted the brown stuff where it joins each end , i am not sure of that but I just did not want to take a chance , I have done quite a bit of repair work on the board and I did'nt want to ruin the board just for this one component , hence the reason to use conductive adhesive !! .

spike

Maybe you're right and have cracked the solder.

I don't see how the brown stuff can possibly be melted using a soldering iron because it's a ceramic and will have a much higher melting temperature than solder.

It should be fairly easy to resolder it because it's very larger for an SMT part. Try just melting the solder at either end, it should solder back into place.

The only risk is you destroying the PCB track or removing the plated contacts on the capacitor which shouldn't happen unless you're really bad.

Hi

Thanks for your reply , I will just try to re-solder it , how can I check if it has got a good conection , I tested it with a DEM , but I was not geting a reading with the resistance tester , I tested a couple more on the board that looked the same type , 2 where giving a reading but 2 more there was nothing , they must be ok , because the board actualy is ok , the repairs I did where to the power jack and the USB socket .

cheers

spike

thanks

spike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back