Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High dielectric strength adhesive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to join rubber to what I think is bakelite, to seal it from 40KV.

Last edited:
Given the minimal thickness of the adhesive layer, I hardly think it is worth worrying about. Maybe I don't appreciate the geometry of what you are trying to do, but what you think you need makes no sense at all.

Given the minimal thickness of the adhesive layer, I hardly think it is worth worrying about. Maybe I don't appreciate the geometry of what you are trying to do, but what you think you need makes no sense at all.
It's a high tension situation, Papabravo.

It's a high tension situation, Papabravo.
Thank you, I gathered that and did not need for you to repeat it. I'm telling you that what you want makes no sense to me since the thin layer of adhesive between the rubber and the bakelite(?) won't do squat for you.

Thank you, I gathered that and did not need for you to repeat it. I'm telling you that what you want makes no sense to me since the thin layer of adhesive between the rubber and the bakelite(?) won't do squat for you.
It's a thin layer but long and wide.

I wasn't aware that there were acidic types, thank you.
The commonest type is "Acetoxy" silicone - the stuff that smells like vinegar as it's setting. It releases acetic acid as the curing reaction takes place.

Make sure it does not say that; look for "Neutral cure" silicone.

The non-acid type is rather slower setting - but also much longer tube life, it can be good for months or even years after unsealing as long as you close or plug it, while the common type is pretty much guaranteed to set in the tube or cartridge quite quickly once started.

Please remember to check around your seal for creepage from the high voltage circuitry by using a neon light with one lead grounded and the other lead bare to "feel around" for high voltage. Hold the neon lamp with a length (10 cm or longer) of a good insulator like a plexiglas rod. Of course you could do that with your fingers but I imagine 40 kV might hurt you if it doesn't do worse.

Keep one hand in your back pocket all the time your circuit is on. I have done some work at 40 kV, always having a "partner" to minimize risk. If any current is available it can make it truly scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back