Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conductance,Susceptance,Admittance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
walters said:
mS is the abbreviation for milliSiemens.

but is milliSiemens a TIME measurment?

what is millisiemens really is it time of current or conductance?

As I said in my previous post, Siemens is the alternative unit for conductance. I use mho but some people use Siemens.

Len

re•cip•ro•cal adj corresponding but the other way around reciprocal n. a mathematical expression related to another in the way that 2/3 is related to 3/2

Thanks guys for help on this stuff

Can you please give me like a water analogy for these terms
admittance,conductance,susceptance?

This inverse is not making sense to me at all i need another way
to look at these terms because i can't picture these in my mind

This inverse is my main problem this inverse doesn't make sense
to me at all what really is a inverse because this is applied inverse
to a compondent or a circuit so its the inverse

I have some questions Please don't say its the inverse of resistance,
impedance, reactance this inverse doesn't explain to me why or
what Admittance , Conductance , Susceptance Does?

Compondent questions:

A resistor has 1.) Admittance? but what is it? what does it do?
2.) Conductance? but what is it? what does it do?
3.) susceptance? but what is it? what does it do?

a Capacitor has 1.) Admittance? but what is it? what does it do?
3.) Susceptance? but what is it? what does it do?

a Inductor has 1.) Admittance? but what is it? what does it do?

circuit questions:

Every circuit has 1.) Admittance? but what is it? what does it do?
2.) Conductance? but what is it ? what does it do?

Thanks for helping so much on this stuff

The reciprocals of resistance, reactance, and impedance are conductance, susceptance, and admittance. Respectively.
It is looking at the same thing from two different ways.
For example, if I travel from point A to point B, I can measure either the distance as it increases from point A, or I can measure the decreasing distance to point B. My speed is the same whichever way I measure it.
or
Let's say I push against a brick wall. The resistance of the brick wall can be measured, or the force of my pushing against the wall can be measured.
So a resistance of 1000 ohms = a conductance of 0.001 siemens.
It is looking at the same thing from two different ways (reciprocal).

Thanks Morgen

"It is looking at the same thing from two different ways" (reciprocal).
Thats a good thought

But to me they seem different because resistance is putting opposition
to current flow and conductance is allowing current to pass so its really
not the same thing its way different to me

They are not the same thing to me this is how i look at it like this:

Same looking at it in different way:
resistance= conductance
reactance= susceptance
impedance=admittance

Not the same to me

Resistance is not the same as conductance
Reactance is not the same as susceptance
impedance is not the same as admittance

This is how i look at it

Susceptance = reactance What kind of reactance its not the same
reactance

Reactance= Susceptance reactance
they can't be the same thing

Admittance= impedance What kind of impedance is this admittance
it can't mean the same thing they are really different
but how ?

To measure resistance, apply a current and measure the voltage. The higher the voltage, the higher the resistance. To measure conductance, apply a voltage and measure the current. The higher the current, the higher the conductance.

A capacitor does not have conductance, it has susceptance and susceptance is not the same as capacitance. Susceptance is the inverse of reactance. Susceptance and reactance are the same thing stated in a different way. For example, if you were in a valley looking at a mountain peak, you would say that is high but if you were on the mountain looking at the valley, you would say that is low. It is the same distance but stated in a different way.

An inductor does not have conductance, it has susceptance and reactance. Inductive reactance is considered positive while capacitive reactance is negative, so when you connect them in series the resultant reactance is the difference.

Impedance is just a term for reactance and resistance where the phase angle is not 0 or 90 degrees.

The inverse of impedance is admittance. Resistance and conductance apply in DC circuits, impedance and admittance apply in AC circuits.

My statement "it's looking at the same thing two different ways" could be confusing. Remember that ultimately it is not "resistance" or "reactance" that we are looking at. We are looking at electron flow. As the electrons flow, there must be a value of -conductance- allowing that flow. But the electrons do not flow freely. There is also a value of -resistance- that impedes the flow.
It's kind of like the old "is the glass half full or half empty?"

Can you please give me good definition for these terms

admittance? this is a special kind of impedance

conductance?

susceptance? this is a special kind of reactance

Explain what it does to the current and voltage:

Conductance means- to pass current and voltage through the component
easy.
The abilty of a component to allow current

Resistances means- opposition to current through the component

Admittance means- permits current
its a special kind of impendace

Impendance means- the total opposition to AC current

susceptance means-

reactance means- is the property of resisting or impeding the flow of ac current or ac voltage in inductors and capacitors

Capacitive Reactance:
When ac voltage flows through a capacitance an opposing change in the initial voltage occurs, this opposition or impedance to a change in voltage is measured in terms of capacitive reactance.

Capacitive Susceptance means:

Inductive Reactance
When ac current flows through an inductance a back emf or voltage develops opposing any change in the initial current. This opposition or impedance to a change in current flow is measured in terms of inductive reactance.

Inductive Susceptance means:

walters said:
Can you please give me good definition for these terms

admittance? this is a special kind of impedance

conductance?

susceptance? this is a special kind of reactance

Apparently you have yet to grasp that one is the reciprocal, the inverse, the opposite, of the other. It is definitely NOT "a special kind of".
I don't mean this as sarcasm... Is English your first language? Admit and impede have opposing definitions.

IMPORTANT; please read!

"Walters" has litteraly flooded another forum with the exact same questions, string after string of elementary concepts. He has posted so many times with simple questions that he can't grasp! He has literally achieved a higher ranking on the forums by just posting repetitively. I don't know if he is a student or an idiot sevant, but you will wear yourself thin trying to help!

He has already achieved Master status here, and it seems his bench shelves are loaded with test gear. Unfortunately, it also seems his book shelves are loaded with "Green Eggs and Ham."

Many years ago I came across a 'buzzword generator'. It consisted of three columns of words. The first two columns contained adjectives and the third was a column of nouns. The idea was to select a word from each column and add them to make you sound like some smartass.

I think Walters has a similar chart - but his is 15 columns wide and contains verbs as well!

I think i got the chart guys

Conductance= DC Conductance
susceptance= frequency conductance
admittance = AC conductance

resistance= DC Opposition
reactance= frequency opposition
impedance= AC opposition

This is what im looking for the concepts and the answers i think this
is the answers to it correct me if im wrong

physical significance of Conductance? what would it be?
Physcial significance of Susceptance? what would it be?
Physcial significance of admittance? what would it be?

Most books and electronic classes forus only on looking at a circuit design
and Analyze it like this

resistance= DC Opposition
reactance= frequency opposition
impedance= AC opposition

But in EE design classes they focus on this

Conductance= DC Conductance
susceptance= frequency conductance
admittance = AC conductance

I don't know how to look at a circuit,network or design like this how do i do this and analyze the circuit,network or design looking at it like this?

If, after all the help you have received so far, you still do not understand these concepts, you will never grasp them. I suggest you think about a new field of study.

When I was a student, it took me about 2 seconds to grasp these issues. They are not difficult.

Len

Hey Walters,
Why do u want to complicate these things so much?
Is it coz u r thinking tooooooooo much?
All the answers given to ur qs are just superb.I think this forum has some excellent people helping each of us out.
Why don u just relax and read the answers slowly.Make notes of it and u will understand.Just take ur time.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back