Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Component identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffyduxxx

Hi everyone,
I am trying to repair a musical, singing, dancing 3 foot tall Moose, a Christmas decoration.
The owner plugged in the wrong power supply.
I have found a blown capacitor and this SMD transistor tests as faulty too.
But I'm having great difficulty identifying it, or what it is actually doing in the circuit.
As I say, the figure sings, plays music and moves.
I have attached photos of the whole pcb and closeup of the transistor. Any help would be very much
Paul
Screenshot_20221123-213418_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-213406_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221123-213401_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
When you say wrong power supply, was it wrong voltage, polarity or both?

Mike.
My biggest worry would be that black blob. Google COB if needed.

Mike,
The owner didn't enlighten me on that. Just said the wrong power supply.
Do you think the chip could be "fried" as well?
Paul

Mike,
The owner didn't enlighten me on that. Just said the wrong power supply.
Do you think the chip could be "fried" as well?
Paul
Quite possibly, the COB is likely to be a fairly 'sensitive' device, and easily damaged. Basically it depends if other parts died before the COB could be damaged, and thus saved it.

Drawing the schematic out, and labelling what each external wire is, would give a clue as to what the burnt out device is.

Had a similar problem! I drew a diagram and it became more and more clear to me! It's not working yet, but I'm thinking about solving the problem!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back