Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complete Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

noctorum

'ello,

I know *nothing* regarding electronics, besides the most basic uses of transistors, resistors, etc.

Could someone post a link(s) to good newbie guides?

Thank you :)

~noctorum

why dont u try books web sites acc to me r not so informative
as a beginner my self
i advice u to take some new project say a simple amplifier and work on it
then only u will know abt practical difficulties

555!!!!! five five five wooo! its soooo simple and it an easy introduction into ICs and the different components, like resistors, capacitors and the like. you could mabey make an egg timer where when u press a button it times for however long. very easy :)

I should have added that a copy of the Radio Amateur's Handbook published by the American Radio Relay League is a necessity. It's considered the "bible" of all electronics, whether ham radio or general experimenters. I don't much like the newer editions -- besides, they're expensive. Try to find an older copy from the 1970s or 1980s at a ham fest or flea market. Most public libraries have copies also.

Dean

Radio Shack used to carry a line of simple books by Forrest Mimms - excellent place to begin in my mind. They still have them or you may find something used. Usually the front end of the book starts with the most basic of explanations then includes circuit diagrams (and some formulas) for simple projects - made with relatively common parts.

Don't overlook the 30 in 1 or 100 in 1 lab type kits that appear to be toys. While not all that robust the kits have value. Eventually you might promote yourself to a real breadboard - about $200 will get you a nice one with power supplies, function generators, etc.

I have several editions of the Radio Amateur's Handbook however I turn to "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz quite often.

I'd encourage you to spend some time on the basics, the simple things. Get a low cost DVM or an old VOM, a battery, some reisistors and play with Ohm's law a bit. The 555 timer idea is excellent too - cheap, simple but so much can be learned.

Teach yourself electricity and electronics by Stan Gibilsco, third edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GReat book!!!!!!!!!!

think i saw it @ barnes n noble once

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back