Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition: High Voltage Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe voltage AND current variation is important to the host. That is one of the required criteria, though the ranges are not specific.

He is not looking for people to tell him how he can do it. It's a competition, so you're welcome to design it however you like and submit your own idea. You never know--you might win the $100 prize :D

I think you will have slim pickens.

As for the "prize," I don't want it and won't accept it. I suspect many members her feel the same and would suggest working with EM to find a suitable use for it.

John

I believe voltage AND current variation is important to the host. That is one of the required criteria, though the ranges are not specific.

He is not looking for people to tell him how he can do it. It's a competition, so you're welcome to design it however you like and submit your own idea. You never know--you might win the $100 prize :D

Hey Matt

Competition does not cut it. $100 prize does not cut it. It could be a $1000 "prize".
I still would not go for it.....

Show me the money in your hand and work with me. Every step of the way. Show me what you really want......then yes, we can design. Tell me EVERYTHING about what the product to be must do. And I mean EVERYTHING.

So I don't mess up. Because of misinformation. You see where I am coming from.

Middleman is a crap place to hang out :eek:

Think about it

Regards,
tvtech

[MODNOTE]You know better than that TV...[/MODNOTE]

Sorry Guys.

Last edited:
Wow. I said that.

I am sooo tired. My brain has packed up. Scary.

You Guys are Great.

Thanks,
tvtech

Hey Matt

Competition does not cut it. $100 prize does not cut it. It could be a $1000 "prize".
I still would not go for it.....

Show me the money in your hand and work with me. Every step of the way. Show me what you really want......then yes, we can design. Tell me EVERYTHING about what the product to be must do. And I mean EVERYTHING.

So I don't mess up. Because of misinformation. You see where I am coming from.

Middleman is a crap place to hang out :eek:

Think about it

Regards,
tvtech

I cannot offer $1000, nor can I show you the money, or work with you directly or tell you what exactly needs to be done. It is not a strict project. There is no way for you to "mess" up (no reason for coarse language). That is what makes this competition interesting. I can see where you're all coming from, but you do not seem to see where I am coming from. I am trying to make the point that there is nothing to be afraid of. This is supposed to be fun and educational, and it has turned into little more than a dragged out argument. Try to see my point of view.

Regards,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am talking to myself....

Again.

Oh well. I think I need a cure. Beer could do it. I need more beer....oh boy:eek:

Had more beer. Has not helped.

So, to protect any sort of Integrity I have here....I am bailing.

Love you all,
tvtech

I cannot offer $1000, nor can I show you the money, or work with you directly or tell you what exactly needs to be done. It is not a strict project. There is no way for you to "mess" up (no reason for coarse language). That is what makes this competition interesting. I can see where you're all coming from, but you do not seem to see where I am coming from. I am trying to make the point that there is nothing to be afraid of. This is supposed to be fun and educational, and it has turned into little more than a dragged out argument. Try to see my point of view.

Regards,
Matt

You still don't get it Matt

Don't be the Fall Guy.

Not your idea, not your problem.

See it yet???

Regards.
tvtech

You still don't get it Matt

Don't be the Fall Guy.

Not your idea, not your problem.

See it yet???

Regards.
tvtech

The thing is that I wasn't forced to be the middleman. The host asked me if I'd like to, and I agreed. It was my choice. I have no problems being a part of this.

The thing is that I wasn't forced to be the middleman. The host asked me if I'd like to, and I agreed. It was my choice. I have no problems being a part of this.

Hey Matt

Now you see it all unfolding.

Would you do it again??????

Regards,
tvtech

Hey Matt

Now you see it all unfolding.

Would you do it again??????

Regards,
tvtech

If I was asked again, yes. I would still do it. I would just try to find a better way to present the competition so that people don't start arguing about it and pushing for more, more, more.

About a 300 Hz oscillator, driving an old auto ignition coil and use resistive plug wires for current limiting. For fun just purchase a solid state vibrator from tubes and more and go and add a 0.1 uf cap across the contacts. 3+ parts.
1. Ignition coil
2. Solid state vibrator(tubesandmore.com) or 555 timer, MOSFET and heatsink
3 0.1 uf 1600 V orange drop cap
4. Resistive plug wire.

Warning: Not FCC approved.

If I was asked again, yes. I would still do it. I would just try to find a better way to present the competition so that people don't start arguing about it and pushing for more, more, more.

I think APPLICATION was key. If people knew what it would be used for, that leads to easier imagining of a solution to give the desired effect.

For example a competition to make a RC airplane carry a one pound payload as far as possible on an oz of fuel is an application poeple can imagine, and maybe be inspired to attempt some fun solutions for.

Your competition is a little too dry, like asking people to produce 1 pound of lift by a flying body for consumption of fuel of less than X oz/min. You lost the fun factor of knowing what the objective is and imagining cool solutions for it.

I think APPLICATION was key. If people knew what it would be used for, that leads to easier imagining of a solution to give the desired effect.

hi Matt
I agree with Roman, most designers need to know the intended application.

Personally I cannot understand why someone would want to produce a 20KV , continuous arc, for a 24 hour period.??:confused:

Eric

For example a competition to make a RC airplane carry a one pound payload as far as possible on an oz of fuel is an application poeple can imagine, and maybe be inspired to attempt some fun solutions for.

Your competition is a little too dry, like asking people to produce 1 pound of lift by a flying body for consumption of fuel of less than X oz/min. You lost the fun factor of knowing what the objective is and imagining cool solutions for it.

hi Matt
I agree with Roman, most designers need to know the intended application.

Personally I cannot understand why someone would want to produce a 20KV , continuous arc, for a 24 hour period.??:confused:

Eric

You guys are absolutely right. I don't know what it will be for either. I will message the host to see if he is willing to give any more information.

The idea was that there wasn't any real application (to my knowledge), and it only had to make an arc of X volts and X amps for extended periods of time. I can see RB's point though, about it losing the "fun factor". I'll see what the host says and post back here soon.

Best wishes,
Matt

Okay everyone, I have talked with the host and we have worked out a series of ideas that should satisfy you guys' request for more information.

This is a quote form his latest PM:

I plan to do experiments on insects ( 24 hour time periods ) for days and years. The Chassis I have is so old and if it fails, I don't possess the skill to repair it.

I plan to conduct the experiments by using variable outputs to allow for increase and decrease of the emissions.

I will set up a controlled environment and view it over time ( On selected insects ) and observe the effects.

My second pleasure was to see how bright our members are in re-creating said power supply in a way that would show ETO members' talents and abilities, and add to HV section which seems to be just sitting there doing nothing.

These designs might teach others the process of how to transform low voltages into high voltages in however many way's are possible. Components etc.

It's all about HV and show it's complex designs that past engineers' challenges they had to overcome to make a good product ( In some cases ). Most sets ran for years and years.

So, do I need a load? ......No. Just a device that re-produces what I have now, but is variable.

So everyone, the idea is this: Recreate the original circuitry that drives the flyback in a TV, except try to shrink it down as much as possible, and make the voltage and current variable. Also try to make it able to run for extended periods without overheating. We know now that it is for experimentation, to observe the effects of electrical fields, etc on insects. If you do this, the host will be happy.

Also, the reason why the host has not been posting himself is because his place of work does not allow him to browse the forums while he is there. For that reason, he asked me to post on his behalf, and I happily agreed. I think this is a great opportunity for some of our lurking members, as well as the regular posters, to come out of the shadows and show their talents and abilities, by designing a circuit that achieves the said goal.

I hope this is more substantial. I don't think anything else needs to be said, and I have no doubt you guys can come up with some great designs!

Good luck guys!

Regards,
Matt

220px-Theflyposter.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_(1958_film)

I saw the original. It was bad enough.

John

I sat back long enough.:p

So what does he expect a 20 KV 60 Ma arc to do to insects other than turn them into flaming carbon dust? :confused:

Is this device just supposed to put out a continuous duty HV HF corona discharge opposed to an actual sustained electric arc?

The demands and power levels required for each are considerably different.

tcmtech... Your a clever man... I have seen your posts for some months now.... I think you could come up with a viable design that could do this... Just because a fly back transformer would struggle with the current requirements... Can we not boost the output with two+ transformers.

As the host already HAS a unit that manages to do this.. Surely someone on this forum could come up with a design.

I would sincerely like this competition to succeed so that others could get designs by similar merit... I think its a great way forward....

If the host already has a design that manages the requirements, whatever they are, why isn't that design presented?

I have already presented a design that exceeds the current requirements for voltage and current, but for some unclear reason, it has been rejected. Is a Variac supply so hard to conceive as a way to vary voltage that it needs be to shown the schematic symbol? Similarly, as shown on that schematic, varying the frequency will control current.

This is a scam by someone without a clearly stated research plan who likes to torture insects.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back