Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition: High Voltage Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
For DS8, and any other members who are interested in the schematic and some photo details.
For the tank Capacitors it is better to use a lot of Capacitors in parrallel, better with current sharing and heat dissipation. ( I used here 1 x 470 nF and 8 x 47 nF in Parrallel ) The 470 nF gets hot when run at 24 Volts for a longer time.
Keep the leads short between this Cap and the LOPT 5 + 5 or 6 + 6 coils.
The coils are wound in the same direction with a centre tap. e.g. 10 turns with centre tap makes 5 + 5.
Wire size I used here was 1 mil². running current about 5 Amps at 24 Volts.
The red LED is an indication, so I know the coil is oscillating. just 2 turns a LED and 1 k.Ohm R in series.

I use this driver now to power a simple Tesla Coil which works very well.
( I will make up an other thread with more details if members are interested. )

During testing, especially first test run, put a 12 V 50 or 100 Watt car head light in series. saves blowing up the mosfets in case of a wiring error.
A 10 or 16 Amp HRC fuse is also good to fit in the positive line.

I'm glad to see this work because my darn Plasma Speaker is a bust, well maybe. I'll give it some time to see if other members can find the fault cause I sure can't.

kv

On the subject of TCs = Tesla Coils I have built several 9 my last one is a 10" TC it makes 12 ft sparks from a 3 ft diameter sphere = 27 ft circle of sparks in the back yard on 12 KW.

tc10-41_zps8cc160af.jpg

I have 3 capacitors that store up 5400 amps. 5000 volts, = 270,000,000. watts of power. This is a fun TOY. It is lots of fun on the 4th of July the BOOM sounds like a high powered rifle and the police can never decide what to do. NO law says you can not discharge a capacitor. LOL. A 1/4 mile electric fence wire goes off like detonator cord. Rail gun will shoots a bullet through several cement blocks and into a 20" diameter tree.

Coil gun, Microwave gun, EMP, high frequency magnets, and MORE.

Last edited:
Is that first pic photoshopped?

That photo was taken 15 years ago with a cheap camera. There is a steel rod leaning up against the baseball hoop on the left all the sparks are going to the metal rod that is why the photo looks weird on the left side. There is another rod on the right side I needed targets to get good spark photos. I took a lot of pictures with no targets but with the sun light and sparks jumping in all directions very few sparks show up on the camera. With sparks hitting a target i got much better photos but they look dont look natural. Also pics were taken in summer, humidity was high, and sparks are slightly shorter than cold winder days in very dry air. During the winter when air is dry sparks are much better 1000s of them in all direction a 27 foot circle of sparks.

Last edited:
Nice, Gary. I was wondering what you were up to; and now I know you still at it.

How did the Induction Heater go?

kv

Nice, Gary. I was wondering what you were up to; and now I know you still at it.

How did the Induction Heater go?

kv

The induction heater when up in smoke. LOL. The 7812 voltage regulator went BOOM then Mosfets went BOOM then all 5 bridge rectifiers went BOOM. I saved the LC coil with capacitors, filter caps, heat sink, transformer. The rest went in the trash cans.

Last edited:
gary350, I am in awe :)
I've had the coiled pipe from a heat exchanger sitting in my shed for years. Always thought it would make a good TC primary. It's about a foot across, 6 turns I think...

The induction heater when up in smoke. LOL. Mosfets went BOOM then all 5 bridge rectifiers went BOOM. I saved the LC coil with capacitors, filter caps, heat sink, transformer. The rest went in the trash cans.

Sorry to hear that; better luck next time.

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back