Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #2: Mini Holiday Light Display Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a good deal of student interest. PM me if you would be interested in a 2nd "students only" contest with a build period that falls inside your time off from school. Let me know when that is.

wow!!I'll try..

But what will be there for runners or loosers....I think atleast a :

2008 Participant of the Electro Tech Online MHLDC
I like the idea. Let me think about it.

Last edited:
Somebody post a video or something already, Im trying to get motivated! HA HA HA!

Maybe tomorrow Ill have some time for some tinkering, Im looking forward to this, and thank the admin and staff for this opportunity to learn, grow and show off!!

Andrew

earlier posting from prior contest

I'll get the jump on y'all. I previously posted my Christmas light controller and taillight controller schematics earlier this year, and I will use this opportunity to inspire my fellow online audience to join in. I will post a photo and write-up when I get a chance this month. I am not into the Christmas shopping frenzy, limiting my involvement to folding cards only ( gift cards are easily compromised, as is known today from Target and Wal-Mart news story).
For now, here again is the Christmas light controller schematic ( this project is 20 years old):

Attachments

• xmaslights.gif
    xmaslights.gif
    71.5 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
I am a bit confused on what exactly you are looking for. Is this supposed to be a mini thing with little 5mm leds, or can we make somthing to sequence/control AC mains powered strings of lights?

Last edited:
It is a "mini contest because of the short build time. You can build whatever you want with what you want. It is asked that the project be built in the time allowed.

The only destinction is between uC and non uC designs.

3v0

I am a bit confused on what exactly you are looking for. Is this supposed to be a mini thing with little 5mm leds, or can we make somthing to sequence/control AC mains powered strings of lights?

Hi 3v0,

I'd like to participate in the contest but I'm not familiar with the rules where to post a project.

Two more questions:

Do LEDs have to be made on someone's own? (or can we use purchased LEDs?)

And finally, what does "MHLDC" mean in plain language?

Regards

Hans

I built a star for the top of my tree that responds to almost any TV remote control. I just moved so when I get my stuff sorted through I'll post a pic or video. Pretty fun to make anyway

Hi 3v0,

I'd like to participate in the contest but I'm not familiar with the rules where to post a project.

Two more questions:

Do LEDs have to be made on someone's own? (or can we use purchased LEDs?)

And finally, what does "MHLDC" mean in plain language?

Regards

Hans

Im sure you can buy i doubt you can even create your own lol (unless you own alot of machinary)

TOPIC TITLE
MHLDC: Mini Holiday Light Display Contest

Answers

Boncuk
MHLDC Mini (as in small or this case short build period) Holiday Lighting Display Contest. A simple project would be a reindeer with a blinking LED for a nose. There is no limit on what you can do but it has to be done in the 2 week construction period. Previous works is discouraged.

To make things easy I started a thread where people can post ONLY entries.

Sticky: Contest Entries: MHLDC

You will need to provide a link to a video uploaded elsewhere, maybe UTUBE. Unless I am wrong we can not upload them here.

Questions and discussions will continue in this thread.

You may buy LEDs. See below regarding matrix's.

danielsmusic said:
Are LED matrix's allowed? Just the little modules without any circuitry.
Yes. But a setup with a built in controller would not be.

EDIT: I edited the original post to include the information about the entry thread.

Last edited:
If I get some free time from work and find a PC with a rs232 port (i got a usb->rs232 convertor that doesn't work) I'll give it a try in uC category (if that means micro controller, though PIC16F877A I/P 40pin isn't that micro at all :D )

Moderator: Yes uC is micro controller

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to remind people that entries need to be posted in the MHLDC entries thread.

More importantly, the contest has a 2 week build period. Prior work will not be disqualified, but people should keep this in mind when voting.

here my entry's. I build this a long time ago to control my christmas lights and party's lights it as 32 output 3 controller . its all TTL 70's thecnology74154 74193 7404 74168 555 and lots of triac's no PIC or PC input.
YouTube - The Old ways
YouTube - the old ways

Is a video a MUST for this competion?

Unfortunately I'm one of the persons who doesn't possess a video camera, and the one built in my cell phone isn't worth thinking about.

I could of course post a sequence of photos if this OK.

I also will have a surprise for a Christmas gift contained in my project. (shipped free!)

Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back