Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #2: Mini Holiday Light Display Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
The idea behind this contest is to provide a bit of good natured fun. The build and judging periods have are short to prevent members from taking it too seriously.

The Contest​

Build a preferably holiday related light display.
Any display is OK provided you make it yourself.
You may use existing target boards and their displays.
There are no other rules.
I expect to see LEDs in several forms, 555's, counters, shift registers, and uC's.

There will be two classes. A uC and a non uC class.

There are no prizes other then pride of placing this line in your signature.

2008 Winner of the Electro Tech Online MHLDC

The contest construction period starts NOW and continues to 8AM Dec 25th.

To enter
1: Post to this thread to let us know you are in the running.
2. When you finish your display post a link to your video to the thread
Sticky: Contest Entries: MHLDC
Include a blurb about the project and schematics.​

On Dec 25 I will post a poll with a selection for each entry
and members will vote for their favorite uC and non uC entry.
The person with the most votes on January 1 2009 will be declared the winner.

We are not responsible in any way for damage or harm to you or your equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had the time to do this and all the parts I would enter a nice little display without a second thought. It's a great contest idea and reminds me of those huge lighted house setups you see every year on youtube.

Unfortunately I am finishing up a semester of classes and don't have any time to spare nor do I have any parts to work with. I do look forward to seeing the other members projects.

Well, I gotta try something too! Ill have to fiddle with the project when I get some time off, hope to post soon!!

Cheers,
Andrew

I would like to be in it but I don't know if I'll have time to between work and school but I will try. I'm with iflymyhelishigh, can we use existing light strings?

hehe... can you use existing light strings?
The rules

Build a preferably holiday related light display.
Any display is OK provided you make it yourself.
You may use existing target boards and their displays.
There are no other rules.​

I do not see where the rules would prevent it. I would expect that you build some sort of controller or sequencer.

When we finished our projects if we post to this thread other competitors can see our projects & they will try to make their projects better than us.

Like earlier did, the completed projects EM will post after final date.
So nobody knows who's project is that this etc....

That method is better.So no arguments,no country supporters etc..............

Last edited:
Christmas fair chair lift , just finished

I started this a few days ago before I knew you were running this comp, so its now finished (well finished enough for my original idea!).
The idea came as an extra visual attraction for Christmas, and it is simply a fairground chair lift display.
I manufactured the whole thing from paper (printed with the decorations!), and a piece or two of cardboard.
The mechanics consist of a converted servo-motor as a slow speed controllable drive for the chair lift. The chairs are lifted up and down by means of a lightweight line that runs down the central column to the motor drive.
The speed of the lift is varied and the chairs are stopped occasionally to simulate people getting on and off, etc.
Nothing very clever, but looks pretty.
The motor and the chasing LEDS are driven and controlled by a PIC 16F684 (one of my favourite Pics.).
short Video attached. B.P.YouTube - thisone.mov

Last edited:
This is a friendly competition.

Gayan Soyza,
It would be fun to see a bit of one-up's-men-ship. Voting it totally up to the membership of the forum. There is no doubt that the project with the most votes will win.

If you want to hold your project back to the last minute you may do so.

The dates and rules stand without change.​

Freq Band,

I strongly discourage breaking the law. That like everything else you do at your own risk. We do not support illegal activities. To cover our butts I think we would have to remove such a post/entry. It could not win. Too many lawyers out there if you know what I mean.​

techmanx

The contest has a two week build window. If you spend more time then that on the project members may see that as unfair when they vote.

There is no video.

Have a nice day :)

3v0 (contest moderator)

Last edited:
i have a problem of noise in PIC controller IC ADC input pin is getting some noise through circuit. what RC should be connected to the IC and how it is calculated the RC value

Last edited by a moderator:
wow!!I'll try..

But what will be there for runners or loosers....I think atleast a :

2008 Participant of the Electro Tech Online MHLDC

i like this idea ..... but unfortunatly i have no time to do any project now :
i have semester exams:( ... but i will make a look at the projects presented .
i wish that this competitions will be repeated :).

i have a problem of noise in PIC controller IC ADC input pin is getting some noise through circuit. what RC should be connected to the IC and how it is calculated the RC value
correct me if I misunderstand, but if you are using and ADC input, the input should be pure DC (no noise), otherwise the A to D converter will be really confused. If the signal you are offering to the ADC input is ragged and you want to measure say the approximate RMS or average value, then you should smooth it as much as necessary without excessive damping of the signal.
What I mean by that is; You could feed the signal through say a 100K resistor into 100 UF capacitor, and that would probably damp it as much as would ever be necessary, but if you signal is only very short term ie. a short pulse, then the 100UF cap will be too large. You will need to experiment until you have achieved the minimum smoothing required.
Hope I have understood your problem, and you get some idea from my comments, Regards, Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back