Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Compensation capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks for that both of you - my plan was to ensure the fixed and higher voltage rated capacitor was always the smaller value one, however it looks like this approach is inadequate. As to bandwidth, it doesn't need to be a particularly precise compensation, if I can get it up to 1MHz I'll be very happy. I did consider breaking up the top resistor into sections with a cap on each section but decided the ratio tolerance and t/c of the 1776 series Caddock divider I originally planned to use is more important as this is /mainly/ for DC, so the value can't be broken up. I may end up finding the right value with a trimmer and then making it up out of fixed capacitors in parallel. The alternative is using a fixed upper cap and trimming the larger capacitors on the smaller resistors.

The pcb option is a bit chunky - 4sq cm of fr4 gives about 1pF apparently, not to mention the additionnal leakage current so I don't think I'll be doing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back