Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common connection of two power supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyqwq

Hello.

The power supplies are transformerless basic power supplies. Because of the transformerless situation , i desided to post this thread here on high voltage section.

As i have said before the power supplies are transformerless. First one's output is 36Vdc and the second one's is 12Vdc. There is also ( one of them )scheme down below of thread (the other one has also same wiring diagram except fuse, which i added on high voltage section).
The goal was control 36Vdc with FET by 12Vdc gate voltage . Just a few minutes ago i tried to connect two power supplies 0V 's. And then ZZZZZZtttttt ,,, BOoooooomm...
The connection between 0V made by crocodile. After the "Boooooomm" the crocodile's wire burnt somewhere in it.
Im confusied cause, both circuit's has own glass fuse and they didnt blow up.. 12Vdc 's has 1Amps glass fuse and the other one has 8 Amps glass fuse.

Can someone tell why this situation may happen ?

Attachments

• transformerless-power-supply.jpg
    transformerless-power-supply.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
You've shorted across the mains, you can't connect transformerless supplies together, things WILL go BOOM!.

Basically you shouldn't use things, they aren't safe - OK for their original purpose, and if constructed correctly and safely - but NOT as any kind of general purpose supply.

You've shorted across the mains, you can't connect transformerless supplies together, things WILL go BOOM!.

Basically you shouldn't use things, they aren't safe - OK for their original purpose, and if constructed correctly and safely - but NOT as any kind of general purpose supply.

Holly...YES.. Arrrhhh:arghh:. What a silly i am. I'm ashamed that I didn't notice of it......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

First one's output is 36Vdc and the second one's is 12Vdc.
More information.
You want 36 and 12 and 0 I assume. (or is it 36 on top of 12 more like 48, 12, 0)
Are your loads from 36 to 0 and from 12 to 0 with no load from 36 to 12?
OR
Is it more like +24 to 0 to -12? Where the load can be across any direction.
What is the load(s)? current?

please keep in mind the 0V terminal is NOT GROUND...

Hello.

The power supplies are transformerless basic power supplies. Because of the transformerless situation , i desided to post this thread here on high voltage section.

As i have said before the power supplies are transformerless. First one's output is 36Vdc and the second one's is 12Vdc. There is also ( one of them )scheme down below of thread (the other one has also same wiring diagram except fuse, which i added on high voltage section).
The goal was control 36Vdc with FET by 12Vdc gate voltage . Just a few minutes ago i tried to connect two power supplies 0V 's. And then ZZZZZZtttttt ,,, BOoooooomm...
The connection between 0V made by crocodile. After the "Boooooomm" the crocodile's wire burnt somewhere in it.
Im confusied cause, both circuit's has own glass fuse and they didnt blow up.. 12Vdc 's has 1Amps glass fuse and the other one has 8 Amps glass fuse.

Can someone tell why this situation may happen ?

Same here ?

More information.
You want 36 and 12 and 0 I assume. (or is it 36 on top of 12 more like 48, 12, 0)
Are your loads from 36 to 0 and from 12 to 0 with no load from 36 to 12?
OR
Is it more like +24 to 0 to -12? Where the load can be across any direction.
What is the load(s)? current?
The 36vdc is Vds of the fet. And the 12V is gate volt.
it cant handle current i think. current will be high like 5amps.

Transformerless power supplies will not do 5 amps. More like 0.05 amps.
-----edited-----
If you need +12V or +5V to run some circuity, use a cell phone charger. (small and low cost) (isolated!)

Last edited:
It would be much safer (and convenient) to produce the 12V from the 36V supply. If only a little current is needed (mAs) then a simple zener & resistor may be sufficient.

Mike.

If you tell us what you are trying to do we may be able to help more. I.E. how will you switch the 12V to the gate? If you're using an Arduino then other problems need to be overcome.

Mike.

1572012828171.png
No ground.
Even if the 0V was connected to ground it can be connect to the 0V of a 32V 5A power supply. (no bang)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back