Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coil Gun Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second that audioguru.

This probably doesn't have much place, as it may not help you directly, but 'coil guns' are woefully inefficient...and you can make it as big as you like, that won't change. Try a 'rail' gun instead, much more efficient, less hassle. Either that or stop using standard coils, try different shapes. Even better use aluminium tubing as the projectile, as the lorentz law will come into play, so your coils will attract - then repel - the projectile.

Maybe I'm just a perfectionist, but I prefer clever engineering to brute force, much more elegant :D

Blueteeth

Well I am going to start out simple and inefficient, (though not intentionally, I want to figure things out myself) then work my way up.

good man! Far too many 'copies' on the web, with people just making bigger and bigger 'coil guns', more expensive components etc..etc.. That and their 'improvements' are like changing the colour of a car to make it go faster...(I had the coilgun bug when I was 12, can you tell?)

Nothing beats experimentation, I just wish more people who do it.

Good luck, and don't kill anyone.

BT

The same camera Circuit can supply the 200V's that you need! It might take some time(due to the capacitance) but it will supply the voltage, simply watch and shut off the power(battery connection) once you have reached 200V. Use a multimeter connected to the capacitor to watch the voltage rise! too many volts is not a problem for charging capacitors unless you are not watching the charge, in any case a capacitor cannot charge to a (much) higher voltage than its rating, if you do it could explode.
if you have any questions. message me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back