Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS camera image processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

metanoya

Hi

Can someone please give me some recommendations? For my final year engineering project I need to create a day/night surveillance camera. It needs to detect movement from images. When movement is detected, a few images need to be captured. The user then needs to be alerted via sms that an intruder has been detected. The captured images then has to be transmitted to a webserver where the user can download it with a java midlet to his cellphone. I've done some reading and figured out that I need a CMOS camera, some image processor and a gprs module to transmit the images. Can anyone please offer me any recommendations concerning the hardware to be used? I've never worked with this type off stuff and would like to use the modules that I will be able to learn the quickest (I don't have months to figure out a lot of new programming languages and stuff!). Thanks a lot.

A typical heat sensor rigged to push a camera switch will do what you want. It could probably be more elegant, but it's a lot more troublesome to get a camera to do everything.

Microsoft DirectX 8 and later SDKs have a sample USB camera input program that you can work with. They give you a pointer to live video bitmap pictures in memory that you can intercept for comparisons etc.
DirectX is for Microsoft C and C++ or visual Basic. Unless you have been there before, it will take lots of reading.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I have to explicitly determine movement from the captured images, so I'll have to use a dsp. The cmucam looks like it's not too hard to interface with, but I'll have to use the first cam, since the idea of the project is to make it cost effective and the other two are quite expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions about the gprs module used to transmit jpegs to a webserver? Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the camera needs to be able to work at night. Someone suggested using those LED arrays or something to do that. Does anyone know they work and how much work it's going to be?

Here is a project that may give you ideas on interfacing the cmos camera and storing some images.
**broken link removed**

Hi.Its me again.Thanx for all the previous advice and links.It really helped a lot.I just please need info on a few other things.The images that I have to take are 1280x960.Can anyone please recommend a DSP that will be able to do this as I know that it will take a lot of processing power,or would it be a better idea to compare thumbnails or something?Does anyone with experience with CMOS VGA sensors know which ones are the easiest for beginners to use that can capture images at 1280x960.Also,the GPRS module that I wanted to use has an embedded TCP/IP stack so u can transfer files directly to an FTP server.My projectleader has suggested using a much cheaper GPRS module without a TCP/IP stack.Does anyone know how to create this stack or anything?I am really clueless.Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back