Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Timer : School Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi C,
I understood your original assignment was a Chess timing clock.?
Looking at your last few posts, your original project is now suffering from what is known as 'feature creep'.

It is always very tempting to add 'bells and whistles' to your project, try very hard to resist.:nailbiting:

To paraphrase what KISS says in post #79, get the original circuit working, but allow for 'later' expansion.

Did you study and understand the 4510 d/s regarding the /TC pin.?
Also what was your answer regarding the current limiting resistors for the 4511.?

E
My original assignment was to make a seven segment display changed digits when a button is pressed, and that's it...
I have recently caught the flu and been trying to stay off the computer for a bit because of a ongoing head ache...

I used 1k resistors on the 4511

OK, Sorry to hear about the flu, hope you get better soon.;)

Can you say what is your location.?

Hi C,
It is always very tempting to add 'bells and whistles' to your project, try very hard to resist.:nailbiting:

BTW, why should be? He is just a school learning kid and initiative is sign of strong interest to learn and if I understand correctly, this is just another school subject. This does not mean he will follow the path of electrical engineer... :)

When get a job, initiative is not quite welcome... And proper design should be inside recommendations or precise spec. And you are retired according to your published info? Completely different situation.

To OP: make the initial circuit your teacher asked (inside spec), however you may show him what else further you have made. It will be probably glad to him to see you are able and willing to learn more.

It is always very tempting to add 'bells and whistles' to your project,
True.

try very hard to resist
Good advice.

When get a job, initiative is not quite welcome... And proper design should be inside recommendations or precise spec.
VERY true!

make the initial circuit your teacher asked (inside spec)
Good advice.

however you may show him what else further you have made. It will be probably glad to him to see you are able and willing to learn more
Maybe.

I think the important lesson here is that "Feature Creep" and "Scope Inflation" are things which happen in the real world of work and can often end in loss of profit, unhappy boss, unhappy customer.
Be aware that they exist and take steps to avoid them.

As for this school project, ensure that you complete the "base case" in time.
As far as improvements go, show how they can be added but do not spend too much time on a full implementation.

JimB

The originally assignment was acuttaly to buy a kit to solder up.... So i thought I might just see if i can make it myself, because I have soldered many of these 'kits' and it not to flash of a job

When get a job, initiative is not quite welcome... And proper design should be inside recommendations or precise spec. And you are retired according to your published info? Completely different situation.

hi testmpc.

Are you suggesting that because I am retired, that it in some way effects the validity of my advice.?
If so, it applies to the majority of the experienced helpers on this Forum.

I would have thought the years of practical experience retired members bring to these Forums would be valuable source of knowledge for any student.

You have seen my Profile, is there any chance you could post your Profile details so that I can make an assessment of your experience.?

E

Are you suggesting that because I am retired, that it in some way effects the validity of my advice.?

Not at all. I'm just saying that experimentation during learning and learning on his own mistakes is equally valid as reading from books and listen experience advices.

He is just on beginning of his life and have a lot to learn on the easiest or the hardest way.

That is all.

I'm in the desktop software industry, almost retired. Electronic is my hobby, nothing more. However, some things are the same in any areas.

Last edited:
The originally assignment was acuttaly to buy a kit to solder up.... So i thought I might just see if i can make it myself
Wow !
Now that is Scope Inflation!

JimB

Thanks for everyone who has helped me in this thread...
Lets just leave it as that :) Have a great day peoples

Last edited:
I want to leave with a few stories:

In this case, your probably fine.

Generally spit out what teach wants even if it's wrong unless your prepared to defend your position. I gave a perfectly valid answer, but tit was marked wrong and was told, your not supposed to know that yet. I got the point or whatever. My schooling has been spit out what teach says, period. When you can't memorize well, it makes it hard. Your "project" then, is to get good grades. Don't be afraid to challenge tbe system. I managed two classes as a ghost. When I learned my tricks, I graduated with a 4.0 GPA.

Thanks for everyone who has helped me in this thread...
Lets just leave it as that :) Have a great day peoples

hi Can,
I hope you are not giving up on this project.?
It would be nice to see it working.
E

The originally assignment was acuttaly to buy a kit to solder up.... So i thought I might just see if i can make it myself, because I have soldered many of these 'kits' and it not to flash of a job

And you overcome it greatly, with exponential learning rate!

Motivation and interest to do more is very important in self education, which is simply much more valuable than fulfilling only given task, believe me.

You will be in great advantage later in higher education and at work.

Last edited:
hi C,
Good to hear.
There seems to be contradicting advice flying around this project regards to the supposed exponential learning curve being proportional to the complexity of the project.:rolleyes:

IMHO keep your first projects as simple as possible, ie: learn the basics of understanding the project design.

For example, I would suggest you stick with your first idea, a chess game timer, but say make just one part of the timer, ie: one 555 with a single 00 thru 99 counter/display.
Get it debugged and working, show your working PCB to your tutor, then you can add the second half, ie: the other players counter/display.

By initially designing/building just one simple counter you will have a easier to follow circuit layout which will enable others to quickly help you.

Recall your first posted circuit diagram.? it was spaghetti and impossible to follow.

Keep it Simple.
E

Considering this is my first 4 weeks of electronics in high school...

I believe some unnecessary and unprovoked vanity rush flying around here and upper fact is overlooked greatly...

I would not expect from someone who just ran into the electronic to make perfectly designed schematic etc. As well as I would not excpect from someone who just started programming to make perfectly optimized code...

Sadly, greatly missing pedagogic approach...

Last edited:
hi testmpc,
I really do not understand what you are trying to say.:banghead:

My purpose of being a member of ETO, is to try to pass my experience in order to help others develop their skills/knowledge, not get involved in time wasting arguments.

Please lets focus on helping the OP.

E

Test dude, I have been doing electronics for 30 years and still find Eric dwarfs me with his abundance of knowledge and experience. When I see Eric advising students or the like, I try to stay out of the conversation as I know the person he is helping is in good hands. I did interject a few things in this post but it was side things to the topic that was really being discussed. I value Eric's opinion so much in fact, I use a quote he made many years ago. Eric has been owner and project lead of several engineering companies. His qualifications are the proof in the pudding.

hi testmpc,
After consideration of our two different approaches to helping an OP, I thought it would make an interesting topic for discussion.
I will create a new thread in the Off Topics section so that we do not hijack this thread.
E

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/posts/1230268/

Last edited:
upload_2015-10-13_14-31-35.png

A quick update of the PCD... I am soon going to use an extra 3 digit for both displays using the carry feature on the 4510B IC.. :)

The AND gate has also been replaced with the new knowledge of the carry feature :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back