Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cleaning copper board with Windex - bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2-D2

I did clean a board with Windex cleaner but realized there was a flux coating on it. Does the Windex cleaner rub the flux coating off the board as I clean it? The solder that I use has flux in it anyways so maybe this is not really an issue.

If the "flux" coating looked violett you rubbed off the photoresist. :)

Copper clads without photoresist should have pure copper layer on the carrier material.

If there is flux on the copper no paint or toner will stick to it making it worthless.

I'd recommend something a little stronger such as nail varnish remover or methylated spirit.

EDIT: Are you talking about before, after etching or soldering? I assumed you're cleaning a completed board with all the components soldered in place.

Last edited:
This is right before I am going to solder components in their places. There is no color change to the copper. I don't think the flux coating over the copper has rubbed off, which I didn't want. I used the Windex just to clean up some of the dirt and grease that was initially on it. I didn't do any etching, it's a pre-made (patterned) board.

I believe Windex has ammonia in it which will corrode copper.

Carbo-Tricloroethane is best for cleaning flux off, if you can get it. Alcohol is probably next best (and safe) commonly available board cleaner.

If this is a surface mount PCB, you have cleaned off the light "hairspray" (forgot its actual name) coating that is put on to help protect bare copper against oxidation until it is reflowed at solder temp at which time it vaporizes away.

I have not actually seen a PCB that has a pre-flux applied on it.

Last edited:
Before soldering I find it best to use a 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. use it wet or dry. If wet be sure to rub it down with alcohol to dry the water off.
Before applying Pulsar toner transfer I found a #0000 steel wool to really work well. The copper comes out really shinny.
To clean the transfer ink off I use lacquer thinner.

I always clean the flux of my board after I've finished soldering, apart from looking disgusting, flux is corrosive and can eat away at the connections.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back