Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clamp output of op amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazza000

HI
I have an op amp feeding the input of an ADC. this ADC must only have 0v to +2.5v on its input. So My Question is How do I clamp the output of the op amp to strictly and only 0 to +2.5 vlolts in order to protect the input of the ADC. The supply of the op amp is -12v and +12v and so far in my practical circuit the output of the Op amp seems to drift outside of these limits. (but that is another question)
can anyone help
thanks
david:)

Did you try having a rail to rail opamp with supply voltages of 2.5 and 0 V? I can't think of any cheaper solutions that might solve your problem

Do you need the full resolution of the ADC? If not, design your ckt so your signal will only fluctuate between 0.5V and 2V. Use a 2.5V zener diode in parallel with a schottky just to protect the input pin. Your ckt will then operate normally from .5V to 2V and in case anything goes wrong, the voltage at the input pin won't exceed -0.3V/2.5V (or thereabouts).

dazza000 said:
HI
I have an op amp feeding the input of an ADC. this ADC must only have 0v to +2.5v on its input. So My Question is How do I clamp the output of the op amp to strictly and only 0 to +2.5 vlolts in order to protect the input of the ADC. The supply of the op amp is -12v and +12v and so far in my practical circuit the output of the Op amp seems to drift outside of these limits. (but that is another question)
can anyone help
thanks
david:)

Some A/D convertor can stand inputs above their measurement range. What A/D device are you using?

What is your ADC?, if it's a PIC they have protection diodes, and a simple series resistor feeding the pin is all that's required (check my PIC tutorial hardware). If it's not a PIC, and it doesn't have internal protection, simply add external protection diodes, and use a similar series resistor.

Nigel Goodwin said:
What is your ADC?, if it's a PIC they have protection diodes, and a simple series resistor feeding the pin is all that's required (check my PIC tutorial hardware). If it's not a PIC, and it doesn't have internal protection, simply add external protection diodes, and use a similar series resistor.

It is a LTC1297 12bit serial
dazza

speakerguy79 said:
Do you need the full resolution of the ADC? If not, design your ckt so your signal will only fluctuate between 0.5V and 2V. Use a 2.5V zener diode in parallel with a schottky just to protect the input pin. Your ckt will then operate normally from .5V to 2V and in case anything goes wrong, the voltage at the input pin won't exceed -0.3V/2.5V (or thereabouts).

Would I need to limit the current from the op amp with a high value resistor before I feed the diodes?
dazza.

dazza000 said:
could I add an lm358 with a 0 to 2.5+v supply to the output stage?
The minimum supply voltage of an LM358 is 3.0V.
Its max output voltage is about 1.2V less than its positive supply voltage.
Its max input voltage is about 1.5V less than its positive supply voltage.

audioguru said:
The minimum supply voltage of an LM358 is 3.0V.
Its max output voltage is about 1.2V less than its positive supply voltage.
Its max input voltage is about 1.5V less than its positive supply voltage.

Hmmm, can you suggest a more versatile opamp?
dazza.

speakerguy79 said:
TLV2781 from TI

looking at the data sheet for the TLV2781
the common mode input voltage range for this chip is −0.2 VDD+0.2

So if I am interperating this right, I cannot expect to send the output of my original op amp which swings (possibly) between +12 and -12 volts.

given that i will be supplying the tlv2781 with 0 to 2.5 volts on its power supply.
Is this right?
Dazza

dazza000 said:
looking at the data sheet for the TLV2781
the common mode input voltage range for this chip is −0.2 VDD+0.2

So if I am interperating this right, I cannot expect to send the output of my original op amp which swings (possibly) between +12 and -12 volts.
Rectify the 24V signal so it is only positive then attenuate the +12V down to +2.5V.

given that i will be supplying the tlv2781 with 0 to 2.5 volts on its power supply.
Is this right?
Yes, but the output load resistor must be very high or the output voltage will not reach +2.5V.

Here is a method of controlling the output voltage swing of an op-amp. If the output is too high the top transistor turns on. If the output is too low the bottom transistor turns on.
I am working on an audio amplifier with controlled clipping.
Set the “top clip” and “bottom clip” voltage to correct values.
If the clipped output has less than 5 volts swing do not use the diodes.
If the clipped output is more than 5 volts swing add the diodes.

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 658
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 569
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
ronsimpson said:
Here is a method of controlling the output voltage swing of an op-amp. If the output is too high the top transistor turns on. If the output is too low the bottom transistor turns on.
I am working on an audio amplifier with controlled clipping.
Set the “top clip” and “bottom clip” voltage to correct values.
If the clipped output has less than 5 volts swing do not use the diodes.
If the clipped output is more than 5 volts swing add the diodes.

where do I apply these voltages? to the bases of the transistors?
dazz000

I just posted a third picture where the base voltages are set by a resistor divider.

In my case I set the base voltages to +5 and –5.
In your case you want the most positive swing to be 5 volts so set the top base at 4.3 volts.

speakerguy79 said:
This is a ridiculously long topic for such a simple problem

Well I gues your right, I've got plenty of info to go on now so its just a matter of evaluating these ideas. thanks to all who responded. Bye.
dazza000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back