Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit resonance

Status
Not open for further replies.
johntee said:
Hi Len,

Your response is impressive and factual from my limited knowledge. I'm far from an expert in any field and thus I'm at the mercy of those who freely choose to impart their knowledge to me. Of this I'm truly grateful. My aim, as previously stated, is to acheive as maximum a penetration of biological materials as possible, in as great an alternating + varying field strength & frequency as possible, within what I believed was achieveable via my origininal concept of static field (neo magnetic inductor) + that of the added and created pulsed fields from the circuitry. Yes I understood the basic concept. I must convey honestly that I'm not the most adept or able person to impart my ideas and concepts to others, but I do hope I can achieve such a realisation of my intents in my somewhat naive way via you and friends on this forum.

In my minds eye I visualise the reality of adding something to that which already exists, i.e. neo-magnetic gauss + ?, but cannot claim any expertise in that area of static magnetics + a pulsed electronic content.

Likewise I cannot make any claims to my beliefs or visualisations of this concept because I don't possess that expertise in any capacity.

Len, on this basis, and from your electronic experience, do you believe, without predjudice of course, that what I'm aiming to achieve with my revealed concept is viable with just a strong alternating field as you suggest?
I have no doubt that you can create a strong alternating field. But I have no biological knowledge as to the effect of such a field.
RE: But I'm dubious about your claim that the static component will give you a deeper penetration.

For clarity, it's revealed that all static magnets have a known 'Magnetic Permiability depth' of all materials to varied extents. Yes, I don't doubt that. See below. Therefore it seems reasonable to conclude that such a fixed content can be added too with the correct pulsed magnetic content via circuitry electronics. Once again, maybe I'm totally wrong in my inspired concepts. Don't sell yourself short. I personally make no claims.

I do relish and appreciate our communications and hope I don't outstay my welcome with my enthusiasm in this area. I'm happy to help.

Kind regards

John in the UK

The way you're proposing to do it will vary the strength of the static field.

So if the static field is much stronger than the alternating one, then it will be like a wave on the surface of deep water.

On the other hand, if you make the alternating field so strong that it overpowers the static field, and therefore causes the flux direction to alternate, then why have the static field?

For the sake of argument, let's assume that the saturation issue can be resolved.

If the static field is 10000 Gauss as you said and the alternating field has a peak of say 12000 Gauss (ie. when the magnet is not present), then the resultant field will change from a maximum of 2000 Gauss in one direction (ie. when the fields are opposing) to a maxiimum of 22000 Gauss in the other direction (ie. when the fields are adding).

So my question is - do you want a field that has a bias in one direction, or one that alternates from -12000 Gauss to +12000 Gauss?

I can't answer the question, but intuitively, I suspect that an unbiassed field would be better than a biassed one.

Hi Len,

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick in your previous reply. I mistakenly thought my topic was becoming too dominant on the forum, ie taking up too much time. As it's alien to my nature to intentionally impose upon people I reactively choose to 'ride into the sunset' with whatever knowledge I've been graciuosly offered. I certainly failed to realise that there are other more appropriate areas, and probably more relevant persons to ask about ferrites and magnetics. With that clarified I feel so much better. Anyhow;

RE: So my question is - do you want a field that has a bias in one direction, or one that alternates from -12000 Gauss to +12000 Gauss?

I'm truly not completely certain at this point, the higher gauss scenario seems very attractive as this follows my original concept of Static magnetic gauss + Circuitry created gauss = mega gauss.

However, your intuition seems to be leaning towards the -12000 to +12000 swinging choice and this leads me to ask whether this lower gauss level is achievable with just the electronic component alone. My limited knowledge of electronics forbids me from knowing the answer to that one. I am likewise asking myself whether I will achieve sufficient depth of penetration in a biological mass with a lower gauss level. These and similar questions have plagued researchers from the year dot so I don't feel alone here. I think the answer is to try one way and if the results are not the desired ones, try the other.

On the latter basis Len, which do you think is the easiest way to create a strong alternating magnetic field in the 12000 gauss area, and could such be made available at different frequencies? I ask this because biological material reacts and responds in sympathy to varied, plus specific frequencies, and strength of magnetic fields.

Quite a bundle of questions, maybe I should be paying you a consultancy fee. ( if only )

Any feedback, postive or otherwise, is very welcomed.

Cheers for now,

John in the UK

johntee said:
Hi Len,

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick in your previous reply. I mistakenly thought my topic was becoming too dominant on the forum, ie taking up too much time. As it's alien to my nature to intentionally impose upon people I reactively choose to 'ride into the sunset' with whatever knowledge I've been graciuosly offered. I certainly failed to realise that there are other more appropriate areas, and probably more relevant persons to ask about ferrites and magnetics. With that clarified I feel so much better. Anyhow;

RE: So my question is - do you want a field that has a bias in one direction, or one that alternates from -12000 Gauss to +12000 Gauss?

I'm truly not completely certain at this point, the higher gauss scenario seems very attractive as this follows my original concept of Static magnetic gauss + Circuitry created gauss = mega gauss.

However, your intuition seems to be leaning towards the -12000 to +12000 swinging choice and this leads me to ask whether this lower gauss level I just chose 12000 Gauss as an example is achievable with just the electronic component alone. My limited knowledge of electronics forbids me from knowing the answer to that one. I am likewise asking myself whether I will achieve sufficient depth of penetration in a biological mass with a lower gauss level. These and similar questions have plagued researchers from the year dot so I don't feel alone here. I think the answer is to try one way and if the results are not the desired ones, try the other.

On the latter basis Len, which do you think is the easiest way to create a strong alternating magnetic field in the 12000 gauss area, and could such be made available at different frequencies? I ask this because biological material reacts and responds in sympathy to varied, plus specific frequencies, and strength of magnetic fields.

Quite a bundle of questions, maybe I should be paying you a consultancy fee. ( if only )

Any feedback, postive or otherwise, is very welcomed.

Cheers for now,

John in the UK
John,
Your post of a few days ago stated that the magnet produced 10000 Gauss.

So I chose 12000 Gauss for the flux to be produced by the coil as an example to illustrate what flux would be generated by the combination of magnet + coil, ie. the resultant flux would alternate between -2000 and +22000 Gauss.

Had I chose 30 kGauss, the flux would alternate between -20 kG and +40 kG.

Had I chosen 8 kG, the flux would alternate between +2 kG & +18 kG, ie. it would not reverse direction at any point in the cycle.

I'm just pulling figures out of the air without any real idea of what is practical in order to illustrate my point.

You need someone with more knowledge of magnetics to tell you how much flux a coil can produce.

I don't really have the time to dig out my physics books and revise what I once knew while doing my engineering degree.

So I suggest you start a new thread (with a suitable subject line) and ask for advice on how much flux can be produced from a coil.

But don't make the question too general. I suggest you state (in broad terms) how much flux you want to produce and how it will be directed into the patient.

From memory, the flux depends upon the current, the number of turns and the reluctance of the magnetic circuit.

The answer will also depend upon the frequency range you want to employ.

For high frequencies, you will need a low inductance coil; therefore, you will have to supply a high current to produce the flux.

At lower frequencies, you could use a coil with a higher inductance (ie. more turns) and therefore you will be able to produce the same flux with a lower current.

Hi Len,

Thanks for your time and contributions to my conquest, they have most certainly opened up many new avenues of thought which I need to vigorously pursue if my goal is to be achieved and the rewards unselfishly reaped.

The link you sent to the Magnets and Electromagnets page was quite enlightening and useful too. I'm grateful for that.

In the future I will acknowledge your contributions, in whatever shape or form that will take, for without persons like yourself inspired ideas would remain just those, ' ideas', whereas now the seeds have been sown and the fruit is only a fraction away from picking.

Kindest regards and eternal gratitude,

Respectfully yours,

John in the UK

Hi,

In my internet search for information on Coils & Inductors I came across this website which has a beautiful Java calculator for working out a coils inductance / resistance / wire length req'd etc. Thought it might be useful to other forum members who wish to design such. Here's the link:

https://www.coilgun.info/mark2/inductorsim.htm

Regards to all,

John in the UK

PS. Hope I'm allowed to post this info in this section ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back