Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit plans for a DC AC Inverter? Output 10 KVolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not necessary over unity, well not the inverter anyway, because he didn't say how long he needs the 10 to 20kV @ 20mA for, if it's just for five minutes, it won't be a problem.

I think he was scared off. :)

Ron

I wish the OP would have told us exactly what he was trying to do. In case he's lurking I'll offer this simple set of rules as a guideline.

Zeroth: You must play the game.
First: You can't win.
Second: You can't break even.
Third: You can't quit the game.

The one thing about this conversation I do not understand is the “Pure sign wave”. What has been discussed is nothing but spark generators. That does not require a sign wave or even a rectangular wave. A two-transistor multivibrator into a transformer will do just fine. Tune the thing with a capacitor to resonate at 60hz and you pretty much have what you need unless you intend to build a Telsa broadcast power generator.

Sorry guys for the late reply,
For overunity project? I don't like overunity word. I'm just trying to test my theory. Of course, it's about overunity devices. But nothing strange.

I have built this circuit
**broken link removed**

a friend told me that using pulsed square wave, I could get 10 Kilohertz AC at 220 Volts. I tried it, but the light doesn't light up.

the idea is based in a circuit called Tesla Hairpin Circuit:
YouTube - Tesla "Hairpin" Circuit Replication

This circuit only shows that the output of this circuit is a non-shocking form of electricity. Some people say that if you perform the same experiment without this circuit, you could get shocked. I don't know if that is true or not.

What about my circuit? is wrong?

Last edited:
What doesn't light? The neon or the 40W bulb?

The neon should light very brightly until it's destroyed by the high current, as there's nothing to limit the current.

The bulb will not light, even after the neon has blown because the capacitors have a combined impedance of 31.8k which won't allow enough current to flow through the bulb, assuming the transformer is able to pass enough power.

The output is a high frequency which probably won't have much of a shocking effect but it will burn you.

The neon and the light bulb doesn't light.
My main question is... the transistor is necessary? or it's optional? The original picture, it's without the transistor, but my friend told me that I need to put the transistor.

The problem seems to be in the transformer.
I have removed the transistor and the 470 ohm, and I have connected directly to the transformer.
I cannot light any light bulb in the output of the transformer. But the square wave pulse works good because If I connect a little 12 Volts light bulb to the output of the oscillator (555), it lights. But when I put the transformer, the light bulb doesn't lights.

Last edited:
What exactly is the transformer you have in there?

It looks like what you are doing is using a neon bulb as what would be a spark gap. If the gas in the bulb did ionize it would do as Hero says. It would glow till it self destroyed itself. When the gas in the bulb ionizes it effectively becomes a short.

The transformers used in your link and other versions of the project are high voltage ignition type transformers exactly like the one I posted a picture of. For a project like this to work that is what you need.

Your project as drawn has close to the right idea. I doubt the transformer you are using will give you the necessary voltage. I am not even sure if you have enough drive on the circuit. The fact that the neon bulb doesn't ionize tells you that you likely don't even have 100 volts on your secondary of the transformer.

Do you have a scope to look at what the primary is doing?

But when I put the transformer, the light bulb doesn't lights.

Tells me the transformer doesn't have enough drive.

Ron

Last edited:
The input I use is 10.7 KHertz pulsed DC square wave. Then I connect it to the transformer:
**broken link removed**

The problem is when I connect the bulb in the output of the transformer. I know a 40 Watt 220V won't light. For that reason I have put a 12 Volts light bulb. I know that voltage can destroy the 12V light bulb, but it doesn't lights when I connect it to the output of the transformer.

I'm trying to make a Pulse Transformer. I mean, the input of the transformer is pulsed DC square wave, and I want to get in the output pulsed AC sine wave. It's correct the circuit that I'm trying?
What could be the problem? because any light bulb doesn't lights.
I have other transformer of 9V 0.3AH (input), but it doesn't works.

Last edited:
You're trying to pulse a 60hz transformer at 10.7Khz? I would think that is your problem.

Yes, it's possible. But if that is the problem, then... what kind of transformer I should use? I know there are a "Pulse Transformers". Maybe others?

Pulse transformers aren't used to translate voltage. Mostly just used for isolation on signal lines.

You'll probably have to build what you need, which is a high frequency power transformer. You will have to calculate the di/dt needed by your circuit, then calculate the inductance of the coils from that. There is tons of information on how to design transformers, you'll just have to dig it up and start learning.

EDIT: Fixing dv/di to di/dt as it should be. Stupid brain.

Last edited:
OK, your transformer has a primary of 220 VAC and is actually designed for 50/60 Hz. The secondary with a 220 VAC input is 12 volts at about .3 Amp (300 mA) maximum. That is about 3.3 Watts of power.

So let's assume you drive the 12 Volt secondary with your oscillator. In theory you could expect to see 220 volts at the primary (now the output). That looks good on paper and the output current maximum would be about .015 Amp (15 mA).

Enter a big problem.... The transformer is designed and wound for 50 / 60 Hz. operation and not higher frequencies. I think you need to read a little on inductive theory and how frequency plays into things.

I will make a suggestion. Try doing away with your 10 KHz oscillator and get your 555 making about a 50 / 60 Hz square wave. Drive the transformer 12 volt side with that low frequency square wave. Get rid of the caps and your light bulb because that isn't going to happen. Now place your neon bulb across the output (actually the 220 volt side of your transformer). Place a resistor in series with the neon bulb! Assume the bulb gas will ionize at around 90 to 100 volts, and assume you have 220 volts. Read a little on neon bulbs. Determine the resistor value. Now see if the bulb lights.

Ron

You have another big problem. Transformers aren't rated in Ampere-Hours. The person who sold you the "9V 0.3AH" has cheated you because there is no such transformer.

I will make a suggestion. Try doing away with your 10 KHz oscillator and get your 555 making about a 50 / 60 Hz square wave. Drive the transformer 12 volt side with that low frequency square wave. Get rid of the caps and your light bulb because that isn't going to happen. Now place your neon bulb across the output (actually the 220 volt side of your transformer). Place a resistor in series with the neon bulb! Assume the bulb gas will ionize at around 90 to 100 volts, and assume you have 220 volts. Read a little on neon bulbs. Determine the resistor value. Now see if the bulb lights.

Ron

Thanks Ron,
I have made a new test, but it doesn't works. I have reduced the frequency from 10 Khz to 55 Hz, so the transformer should work. If I connect a light bulb (12V 0.3AH) In the output of the oscillator (55 Hz Square wave), the light lights. Then, I replace the small light bulb, and I connect the input of the transformer to the oscillator. What happens next? I try to measure ac in the output of the transformer and I cannot get any read. If I connect the little light bulb (12V 0.3Ah), it won't light. I know I can burn the little light bulb, but I have tried it.

What could be happening? Now I'm using the correct frequency.

**broken link removed**

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In RA I haven't put the resistor because the program has said me that I need 0 kohms in RA and 131 Kohm in RB to get 55 Hz 50% Duty Cycle

Last edited:
OK, here at work I can't open your image but it looks like you have the 555 directly driving the transformer. That will need a transistor in there. The most you can get from a 555 output is (I think off hand) about 200 mA. I am surprised the 555 drives the lamp. Once I get home I'll take a better look. Also a good way to go would be to use a MOSFET driven by the 555 to drive the transformer.

Ron

I have tried also with a transistor. Here you have the picture, I know you cannot open it, for that reason I have uploaded it in other server. Maybe in this server you can see the picture.

**broken link removed**

the output when I use the transistor is 3 V in the oscillator circuit.

Ver Imagen: transformerb1fs80d1.jpg

Last edited:
The reason I couldn't open it at work was because of where it was hosted. Our Internet is a partially secured network. Anyway, no problem.

OK in your diagram I see a BD138 transistor configured as a NPN while in fact the BD138 data sheet shows me a PNP transistor as seen here. If you had a NPN as drawn it would work. If I have some time this weekend I may try to breadboard the circuit.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back