Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit plans for a DC AC Inverter? Output 10 KVolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_s

Hi all,
Since I'm starting in electronics, I'm looking for the schematics to make a DC to AC inverter.
I have a battery of 12 Volts, 7 Amp Hour, and I want to get an ouput of
+/- 23 mA, 10 to 20 Kvolts, AC PURE sine wave.
The values don't need to be exactly, for that reason I have written +/- 23 mAH and from 10 to 20 KVolts.

I know the best way to get that is buying a transformer, and plug it to my home AC plug. But I want to learn and it will be better to use a battery instead of using a plug in a home.Thanks.

Last edited:
What frequency do you need?

How long does it need to last for?

20kV@23mA is 460W which will require 46A of current from a 12V battery (assuming 80% efficiency) so your battery will last 9 minutes, probably less because its capacity will be under 7Ah with such a high current draw.

Thanks hero
I would need 60 Hertz. If I use, 10 Kv, the battery will last more. The battery is 7 AH, but I can add more batteries in parallel. 3 could be a good option, but I know they will last few time.

Last edited:
Yes, with 10kV the battery will last twice as long: 18 minutes, if you're lucky.

The difficulty with this project, is not just the pure sine wave but the high voltage output.

The best way is to buy a pure sinewave inverter and connect a transformer to it.

Last edited:
So it's a special transformer is it now?

What do you want it for?

Is it a secret?

To vary the voltage use a variac on the primary of the step-up transformer.

I don't know where you're going to find a 120V to 20kV transformer though, maybe you could rewind a microwave oven transformer?

Attachments

• 12V to 0 to 20kV.PNG
    12V to 0 to 20kV.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:
Common fuel oil furnace ignition transformers are around 10 KV at 30 Ma and neon sign transformers come in sizes up to around 15 KV at 30 Ma.
Both are common items and not hard to find.

Common fuel oil furnace ignition transformers are around 10 KV at 30 Ma and neon sign transformers come in sizes up to around 15 KV at 30 Ma.
Both are common items and not hard to find.

They're normally current limited and have a high impedance output so the terminal voltage will drop when the full current is drawn so I doubt you'll get 15kV@30mA simultaneously.

Aren't they mostly electronic nowadays?

I worked at a sign company a number of years ago and replaced and installed a few hundred of them and I have scraped tons more of them for copper and iron while doing salvage work. The most common ones range from around 3 KV at 20 Ma up to 15 KV 60 Ma but by far most are the 30 Ma rated output design.

The are also solid state neon sign transformers as well that have variable outputs from a few Ma up to the typical 30 Ma output which allows the signs to be dimmed.

You can succesful use a high-voltage transformer from the car's ignition system. There are low and high voltage inputs into it the first one 12V AC and the second output up to 20 kV AC. If you give 6V input then it gets 10kV to output.

Thanks to all

@Hero99
It's not for a secret project, it's for a common project, but you will say me that it's impossible to achieve that. So, I prefer to ask only.
The most quick option is to buy one pure sine wave inverter and a variac. The oil ignition furnace transformer output is around 20 Kv, so it's a good option also.

@To all
What is The neon sing transformer frequency? I think it must be more than 60 Hertz
Where can I buy in an online shop a variac of 10 to 20 KV output?

Last edited:
They are the standard line frequency that they are plugged into unless its a solid state inverter type. Those run several at tens of KHz.

@Hero99
It's not for a secret project, it's for a common project, but you will say me that it's impossible to achieve that.
Don't tell me it's for an over unity project?

It makes no difference whether you tell me or not because I had a feeling that's what it was for, by your third reply to this topic.

Last edited:
Attached are a few images of an old one I had laying around. I am sure TCMTECH can attest they get large and heavy. This one is a 9,000 volt unit 30 mA. I did have a 15 KV 30 mA one years ago. The problem with these things like the one pictured is that unless you are careful it will send you to the afterlife.

Whatever your little project is I strongly suggest you be real careful! Brute HV transformers like this have no safety features and there is no current limit other than your body resistance. It can, again, make you dead!

To function this transformer needs a 120 VAC 60Hz sine wave. Therefore you would need to drive it with a true sine output inverter. Good luck!

Ron

Ron

Attachments

• Trans1.jpg
    Trans1.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Trans2.jpg
    Trans2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 330
I have a battery of 12 Volts, 7 Amp Hour, and I want to get an ouput of
+/- 23 mA, 10 to 20 Kvolts, AC PURE sine wave.
The values don't need to be exactly, for that reason I have written +/- 23 mAH and from 10 to 20 KVolts.
It's definitely over unity. It starts with the inverter itself.... input 12V 7AH (302 kiloJoules) and output 10-20kV 23mAH (828 to 1656 kiloJoules).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back