Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

circuit help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
akg said:
Ron H said:
Of course. It's darned difficult to make a DC/DC converter without first converting the DC to AC - although perhaps you could do it chemically. :?: :?:

DC Motor-DC Gen :)

Clever answer! - but with a fatal flaw 8)

A 'DC' generator actually generates AC, which is then 'rectified' to give DC, this is usually done synchronously using the brushes on the DC motor.
Nigel, I think you are an international advocate for AC. :lol: :lol:

What is being described here is a Ward Leonard setup

Extreamly lossy systems btw. But hey needs must, have one at work to generate 400Hz 115Vph bloody noisy. Give me power electronic's any day

Styx said:
have one at work to generate 400Hz 115Vph bloody noisy. Give me power electronic's any day
Try this generator on for its size:
At the airport their backup generator is driven by two or three turbine engines from a Boeing 747 jet plane. I live about 20km away and I heard it being tested with all my windows closed.
I can also hear the "old clunker" jets begin their takeoff roll when they have their bum pointing in my direction. The wind helps carry their sound to me. The rumbling sound resembles an earthquake.

Then you connect the gen to the motor and it keeps going?
not without something driving it :lol:

audioguru said:
Try this generator on for its size:
At the airport their backup generator is driven by two or three turbine engines from a Boeing 747 jet plane. I live about 20km away and I heard it being tested with all my windows closed.
I can also hear the "old clunker" jets begin their takeoff roll when they have their bum pointing in my direction. The wind helps carry their sound to me. The rumbling sound resembles an earthquake.

Audioguru, why not take a motor, add a propeller from a fan to the end of it, and connect the motor to an LED or a LAMP. Depending on the amount of wind that lands on the motor, the direction of the motor, and the strength of the wind, you could have a bright light, or maybe even a burnt out one. LMAO :lol:

mstechca said:
why not take a motor, add a propeller from a fan to the end of it, and connect the motor to an LED or a LAMP. Depending on the amount of wind that lands on the motor, the direction of the motor, and the strength of the wind, you could have a bright light, or maybe even a burnt out one. LMAO :lol:
A guy on another chat forum wanted to use a little computer fan as a generator to power his LED headlight array and to charge his Ni-Cad battery. Peddalling downhill as fast as he could into the wind, the array didn't work and the battery didn't charge but there was enough power to dimly light a single LED.
I told him the fan blades must be much bigger, and would create a strain on his peddaling like he was pulling around an open umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back