Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit design software and simulator recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uman

I would like a CAD program for electronic circuit design, simulation and PCB design. I am looking at "Circuit Creator" by Advanced Microcomputer Systems (AMS) and would like any feedback on this OR other electronic design software.

I would appreciate your thoughts and Recommendations please?

Cheers,
Jeff in Florida
:D

http://www.cadsoft.de

eagle is awesome, and free. doesn't do simulation... but its a good schematic editor and layout editor with autorouting and everything. for small projects it's perfect (since it has a limited board space, and only 2 layers, due to being a free version)

For simulation i use SwitchercadIII, free and small install (15mb) from www.linear.com, it's a SPICE simulator and the parts library is constantly updated.

For PCB layout i use eaglecad which is also free. (And small install, around 25megs)

... I like the small installs becuase I can put them both on a pen drive and work on stuff anywhere i have access to a computer.

Uman said:
I would like a CAD program for electronic circuit design, simulation and PCB design. I am looking at "Circuit Creator" by Advanced Microcomputer Systems (AMS) and would like any feedback on this OR other electronic design software.

I would appreciate your thoughts and Recommendations please?

Cheers,
Jeff in Florida
:D

As mentioned, switchercad III is what I believe the best "free" simulator available that is not crippled by some means.

You might want to consider circuitmaker 2000 if your designs will be relatively simple. It has full schematic capture, seamless simulation (spice3 & xspice supported), it is easy to build new parts. The layout is very simple and has a rip-up retry auto router. I never use auto routers though..Supports 8 copper layers of routing and all the popular file formats.

The professional all inclusive package is less than $1000 USD which, I think for what you get is very reasonable. Only drawbacks I have seen so far is the layout editor might be too simple for my taste..

Personally, I found the library management in eagle a bit cumbersome but I wont complain if I only use the free version of the software.. now if I paid for the professional version, I think I would take issue with it.. but everyone's taste is different. The best thing you can do is clear up some HD space and try as many as you can that offer trial / demo versions so you can get a feel for the tools before you spend any $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back