Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choke Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman

I am making a woodworking dust control station using a squirrel blower off of an old furnace (1/4 horse). I need to slow down the fan output without raising the amperage. I have learned that I can use a resistor coil (also called a choke coil) to lower the voltage and the amperage. These coils were common on equipment in the 1960's. Can these still be found and if so what size would I use? EV

The modern way would be to use a Triac-based lamp dimmer.

The only caveat is, if your motor is equipped with a centrifugal start switch, the minimum RPM should be above the switch's dropout speed.

If your using a squirrel cage motor then a resistance isnt really the way to go, as this type of motor is semi-synchronous.
Because the load is constant you might be able to get it to work if you start the motor on full then switch to resistance.
What you really need is a variable frequency drive.

The modern way would be to use a Triac-based lamp dimmer.

Will that work with an induction motor? Induction or the newer BLDC motors are the only two type I know of that are used for furnace blowers.

If your using a squirrel cage motor then a resistance isnt really the way to go, as this type of motor is semi-synchronous.

Think your confusing squirrel cage blower with the squirrel cage rotor in an induction motor.

Yes shortbus you could be right there.
Squirrel cage blower isnt a term I've heard of, and I've been an industrial leccy for a while.
To me its a tangential or axial blower, they are popular for cooling drives & the like.

A controller like this may work for you.

To me its a tangential or axial blower, they are popular for cooling drives & the like.

Must be another one of those mother land colony things. While what your calling them is probably the technical names, most of my life I've and everyone I know calls them a 'squirrel cage blower'. Because of the resemblance to a squirrel exercise wheel in a cage. Don't know why they aren't called a gerbil cage blower, cause not many have pet squirrels any more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back