Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Helmholtz coils ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsfoto

... theory and practice

Hi,

I just built a small Helmholtz coil and see a discrepancy between theory and practice.

The calculation using two different fornulas have as result the exact same value in Tesla or µT. Below in the attached images.

Now measuring with a magnetometer of a cell phone gives me a more or less 50% real value compared to the calculated theoretical value. Measured with tw different phones. You can also see that the substraction (changin the polarity of the input voltage) of the geomagnetic field gives me plus/minus the same value.

Any explanation why so ?

Thanks in advance for comments

regards Rainer

HCoil_0a_calculation.JPGHCoil_0b_calculation.JPGHCoil_1_calculation.JPGHCoil_2_calculation.jpgHCoil_3_calculation.jpgHCoil_4_calculation.jpg

Hi,

I made some more test with the phone in a different position and not centered but resting on the inner diameter

I thought from what I read that the strongest field is in the center or did I misunderstand that ¿?

HCoil_6_calculation.jpg

Last edited:
to do your measurements you will want to use a magnetometer probe, not a cell phone. a cell phone has other materials inside it that can add errors to your readings. also, how are you regulating the current through the coils?

I thought from what I read that the strongest field is in the center or did I misunderstand that ¿?
no, the most uniform field is in the center, and the fields increase in intensity with proximity to the actual coils:

Helmholtz_coil,_B_magnitude_cross_section.svg.png

to do your measurements you will want to use a magnetometer probe, not a cell phone. a cell phone has other materials inside it that can add errors to your readings. also, how are you regulating the current through the coils?
Thanks and I am using a regulated power supply

Hi,

BTW it looks like I misunderstood the formula for calculation.

A single coil has in my case 9 turns and 60mm diameter. I input 18 turns and I guess that is why I have the double plus/minus the errors.

After correcting my calculation the measured value was more or less the calculated value plus / minus

After making some more test theory and practice do fit with of course the normal errors we have as amateurs and simple measuring methods like our cell phones

Now I bought some sensitive bipolar hall sensors and will built some measuring devices.

Nothing serious really just having fun.

Thanks for your time

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back