Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chip reader for NAND Flash RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanBklyn

Hi everyone... I'm trying to do some data recovery on my tablet. It's an Android Nexus 7 which has something like Hynix H26M64002DQR as its NAND Flash RAM. If I pay a data recovery company, it would cost quite a bit. So I'm thinking of doing the recovery myself as a hobbyist.

If I desolder the memory chip I should be able to get the data from it, but how will I read the chip? One data recovery company I spoke with described this "chip-off" recovery as a process they offer. I've tried googling for chip readers but could only find large and very expensive readers which are made for reading many types of chips. Is there a way I could either:

1. Wire up something myself ... Find a socket which will hold the NAND chip, design and build a simple reader board and connect it to my computer.

2. Or, buy an inexpensive chip reader (if it exists?) and pull the data off using it.

Any thoughts from the community? Thanks!
Jordan

That's a BGA-169 chip, and the effort to build a device-reader will be considerable. If your data is worth it, pay the data-recovery guy.

Just one word of caution about data recovery services: do a thorough search on the net on how any company that you are thinking about using have performed.

There is one high visibility company, who offer a very cheap service, that seems to be little more than a rip off.

I was in the same situation as you, except with a hard disk drive (HDD)

spec

Hi everyone... I'm trying to do some data recovery on my tablet. It's an Android Nexus 7 which has something like Hynix H26M64002DQR as its NAND Flash RAM. If I pay a data recovery company, it would cost quite a bit. So I'm thinking of doing the recovery myself as a hobbyist.

If I desolder the memory chip I should be able to get the data from it, but how will I read the chip? One data recovery company I spoke with described this "chip-off" recovery as a process they offer. I've tried googling for chip readers but could only find large and very expensive readers which are made for reading many types of chips. Is there a way I could either:

1. Wire up something myself ... Find a socket which will hold the NAND chip, design and build a simple reader board and connect it to my computer.

2. Or, buy an inexpensive chip reader (if it exists?) and pull the data off using it.

Any thoughts from the community? Thanks!
Jordan

Can you explain a bit more: why are you trying to extract the data. Has the tablet stopped working? The reason that I ask is that it may be easier, and cheaper to simply repair the tablet.

spec

Just one word of caution about data recovery services: do a thorough search on the net on how any company that you are thinking about using have performed.

There is one high visibility company, who offer a very cheap service, that seems to be little more than a rip off.

I was in the same situation as you, except with a hard disk drive (HDD)

spec
Thanks for the dislike vote jjw- I tried to PM you about this but being a shrinking violet you don't allow private messages::arghh:

What is it that you dislike?

spec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back