Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cheap Ferric chloride heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Could i use a cheap plastic kettle:D to heat ferric chloride?
I know the element wouldnt last long but would this be safe:rolleyes:?

thanks

No. The instructions on the packet says not to exceed 40-45C.
Above that temperature it produces nasty fumes.

I just use hot water in a bowl and float the acid tray on it while agitating it gently and it works well enough.

No, even if you could limit the temperature to a safe value, the element will probably corrode.

Aquarium heaters are great for the purpose, but typically only go up to around 85 degrees F, which is a good limit for fish I suppose, but not high enough for etching.

I got lucky and found a cheap aquarium heater that CAN heat high enough without modification - it maintains 115F (46C) just fine. It's a Hagen Thermal Compact 50W 6" mini, fully submersible heater (part no. A-722) - I paid about $10 for it. Link to my site with a picture and a little more info:
**broken link removed**

Hi,
why not insert the plastic etching tank( suitable for small size boards) in a vessal containing pre boiled water and arrange for stirring the fluid?

ok , thanks everyone. Ive allready got a aquarium heater spare from hydroponic use, however, it only heats to a lukewalm temp. I will invest in another one that gets hotter.

thanks.

bitem2k said:
ok , thanks everyone. Ive allready got a aquarium heater spare from hydroponic use, however, it only heats to a lukewalm temp. I will invest in another one that gets hotter.

thanks.

A Coffee Pot Warmer Works Great.

I bought one in a second hand store for $2.00. I than Modified it by adding a fairly large Aluminum Plate to the top of it.

I than took a 1 Gallon Plastic container and cut it in Half, Sideways, so as to give me a fairly large heating tray.

Placed on top of the Coffee pot heater, it keeps the Ferric chloride at a really nice Temperature.

See Pictures.

Attachments

• A.JPG
    A.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 204
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 202
I'm asuming by lukewarm you mean the side of the tank feels just slightly warm to the touch? If so this is somewhere near 40 degree's. Etching will occur at that temperature it'll just be slower than if you heat it to 70. Honestly if you're not in a hurry just use it like that. You're only talking about a 3-5 minute etching time compared to a 1 or 2 minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back