Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging Time Computations

Status
Not open for further replies.

an2ni

How can I compute for Charging time of my NiCD battery? Thanks...

Full Charging Time = Battery Current Capacity (mAH) / Charging Current (mA)

This time is just an estimation because charging characteristics are non-linear and all batteries take very less time to charge from discharge state to 80% and maximum time from 81% to 100%.

ei! thanks for that... how would you compute then if for example my charger is 9v/850mA for a 8.4V/2.4Amp battery rating.....:)

In that case the approxmiate time will be
T = 2.4 AH / 0.85 A
T = 0.82 H
T = 0.82 * 60 Minutes

For perfect charging you should use chargers which works on positive or negative delta peaks of battery voltage and turn tehm off when battery is fully charged. One such charger IC is MAX712 from MAXIM (www.maxim-ic.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back