Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceramic resonator markings

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

Can someone explain me what does markings on ceramic resonator mean?
I have blue ceramic resonator with marking 400G-945

It might mean nothing, and just be an in-house reference number.

But if you're talking about the resonator in your remote control, they are usually around 455KHz

Yes, I am looking at resonator in remote.
There isn't such resonator 455 KHz in my electronic shop, there are from 3.58-12 MHz, can they be used?

My guess (and only a guess) is that the number 400 means 400KHz. As Nigel says, 455KHz is the popular value, but I reckon your device is probably 400KHz.

G may be tolerance, temperature range or something else.
945 may be relevant to manufacturer only, maybe date code, probably unimportant.

How about a clear picture so we can see manufacturer logo and number of pins?

3.58-12 MHz, can they be used?
NO!

There isn't a logo, just marking 400G-945
IMG_20201210_190538.jpg

Google search turns up nothing similar for 3-pin resonators - have to give up there.

Failures are rare, other than bad solder joints or mechanical damage. Cannot see solder joints, but looks mechanically good (no cracking of blue coating)

Do you have an oscilloscope with 10x probe to check each outer pin (centre = common) with battery connected?

Yes, I am looking at resonator in remote.
There isn't such resonator 455 KHz in my electronic shop, there are from 3.58-12 MHz, can they be used?

No, fairly obviously - imagine you need an object that's 455cm to fit in a particular 455cm hole - why would you imagine an object that's 3580cm or 12000cm fit in the same hole?.

You're unlikely to find a suitable resonator in a store, but you're also VERY unlikely to need one - they don't fail.

In my previous career as a TV service engineer I've repaired many hundreds, probably thousands?, of remotes - the only faulty resonators I've found were from dropped remotes, where one (or more) of the pins have snapped off due to the physical shock. Repairs consisted of either soldering a piece of wire to the snapped pin (you can 'mostly' find enough to solder to), or fitting a replacement resonator from a scrap remote - they all seem to be pretty identical.

I don't want to replace it, I was just curious to understand markings.
Did you figure out what's wrong with the remote?

Did you figure out what's wrong with the remote?
Yes, it was broken trace.

It appears to be a Murata 4MHz one, this series.
(They use the same picture regardless of frequency).

4(.)00 MHz, the last three digits a date code, a year ending 9 & week 45 of that year.

There isn't M letter, there as a dash instead.

It is 4.0 MHz, I found in IC datasheet this:
Minimum instruction execution time 2.0 µs (f(XIN) = 4.0 MHz, system clock = f(XIN)/2, VDD = 3.0 V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back