Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell phone headset help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine90

Could anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have a cell phone headset and a headset for a walkie talkie. The plugs that go into the devices are similar but not exactly the same. The cell phone headset is more comfortable so I thought I would change the plugs around.

Both of them had two wires so I though that they would be able to connect together the plug of the walkie talkie headset with the cell phone headset. So I stripped both the wires and connected them together and it does not work. I tried swiching them over and it still does not work.

I noticed that both of the wires coming out have 2 sets of wires, a big bundle in the middle and smaller wires around that. I tried separating these and connecting them seperatly (making 4 bundles of wires) but this is not working either.

I then tried to reconnect the original wires back together and this is now not working.

Please help. I've now managed to ruin two good headsets :( .

The mobile phone headset has an integrated antenna (inside that small rectangular box, at least for my Nokia phone) and probably some circuit to communicate with the phone so that the phone can detect the headset's presence. Don't know about your 'walkie talkie' but chances are that you damaged these things when you swapped the connections and messed around with them.

Does the phone still detect the headset when it is plugged in? Where did you cut the phone headset's cable? Before or after the antenna 'box' [from the phone]?

I don't think the headset has an integrated antena. It is wired and just has one earpiece and a microphone (which is the same with the walkie talkie headset).

The phone does not detect it at all now the heaset when it is plugged in.

It's a bit late now, but it's always a good idea to use a meter to see how a connector is wired before making changes. Was that two wires plus a shield? That might mean that there are separate connections to the mike and the earphone. An ohmmeter will make an audible click when connected to the earpiece wiring, while the mike might show up on the meter's display as a small AC voltage when you whistle into the mike.

If you can find the wiring functions, you may be able to get the connectors rewired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back