Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car radio timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceze

Hi guys

I've changed my car radio and lost a feature that was on the factory unit.

Normally after switching off the car, the radio will stay on for about 5mins (not too long that it drains the battery) or until the drivers door is opened and switches off at this point.

The current radio switches off immediately when the ignition is switched off.

As the unit doesn't do this, I want to design something that can replicate this.

For the timer part, could I use a timer relay like this (**broken link removed** but this only has a 10sec timer. I guess I would have the ignition as vcc and always live on nc/no part?

How do I incorporate the door switch so if its on timer, it'll immediately switch off? I don't want it to switch off using the door if ignition is on.

Or is there a better/ combination circuit I need?

Google "car delayed turn off headlights", many circuits for turning off stuff.

Regards, Dana.

I suspect when the new radio was installed a different battery + power was used. There is a key off timer relay on most newer vehicles that enables power windows and radio with key off until door is opened. I would try to find a schematic for the vehicle and confirm the proper Battery + connection was used. That is more a function of the vehicle and timer relay than the radio.

rfranzk

It's difficult to say if it's a function of the radio or of the car. There are standard interfaces for permanent power and ignition, but there's nothing for the door. That could be done on CAN, it all depends on what the car manufacturer decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back