Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car horn

Status
Not open for further replies.
for use as a safety device,while hunting or fishing, how far away can the horn alarm be activated ????
Are you asking about the the Key Fob Alarm function. My Toyota system seems to work up to about 200 feet.

i,m looking to maybe devise something that would make that horn blow from about a half mile or so.....i,m in a no coverage area for cell phones....

You will be best looking at 27Mhz FM encoded industrial control gear to get a decent range. They are not expensive .

eg 27 Mhz 1W encoded Tx ( about the size of a pack of ciggies ) $37 ( aust$) antenna extra
27 Mhz Rx 12V operation relay o/p 5Amp $45 (aust $) antenna extra
Expected range is up to 6Km ( 3Km nominal)
These are from Elsema

[Edit: I realize saltysenior probably knows the "three" rule; I mostly just put it here as background for those who don't.]

The standard "I need help" alert for bush country is three equally-spaced loud noises (say, shots from a gun, blasts on a horn, etc), spaced out about like you would count "One, two three" out loud. So if you're hunting, problem solved (unless all you have is a .22). Otherwise you could just carry an air horn; they make them for this purpose.

Of course, the system sort of relies upon anybody who hears the signal knowing what it means.

Honestly, if I just heard a horn blaring off in the woods somewhere I'd just assume some idiot had turned on their car alarm before leaving their car and something set it off. (Mind you, I'd probably still investigate, but not everybody would).

In your position (if you really want to use the car horn remotely) I'd go with something like Ross's suggestion, and rig it so that the remote control would trigger the 3-blast "I need help" signal. Just remember to leave a note at the car indicating where you might be found. :)

Cheers,

Torben

Last edited:
[Edit: I realize saltysenior probably knows the "three" rule; I mostly just put it here as background for those who don't.]

The standard "I need help" alert for bush country is three equally-spaced loud noises (say, shots from a gun, blasts on a horn, etc), spaced out about like you would count "One, two three" out loud. So if you're hunting, problem solved (unless all you have is a .22). Otherwise you could just carry an air horn; they make them for this purpose.

Of course, the system sort of relies upon anybody who hears the signal knowing what it means.

Honestly, if I just heard a horn blaring off in the woods somewhere I'd just assume some idiot had turned on their car alarm before leaving their car and something set it off. (Mind you, I'd probably still investigate, but not everybody would).

In your position (if you really want to use the car horn remotely) I'd go with something like Ross's suggestion, and rig it so that the remote control would trigger the 3-blast "I need help" signal. Just remember to leave a note at the car indicating where you might be found. :)

Cheer

the old 3 shots deal is long forgot any more... not many boy scouts around ....besides we hunt most times w/ a muzzeloader,and of course do not carry a gun while fishing......after some research it seems to point to the cell phone.....is there a way to improve the range of the cell w/ an external antenna or wire ????

the old 3 shots deal is long forgot any more... not many boy scouts around ....besides we hunt most times w/ a muzzeloader,and of course do not carry a gun while fishing......after some research it seems to point to the cell phone.....is there a way to improve the range of the cell w/ an external antenna or wire ????

Really? It's still in use in northern Canada. Bummer that many are forgetting how to deal in the wild. I guess for most people these days it's not that relevant anymore.

Anyway, in this case I'd go with MikeML's suggestion of the SPOT device. It's apparently a GPS-based locator beacon which you can use to send out a call for help, with the helpful side effect that it pinpoints your location so you can be found.

I've never used the thing and never researched it so I can't vouch for it at all; all I know is what the web page Mike linked to said.

I'd still carry the air horn though. :)

Cheers,

Torben

**broken link removed**

although I don't know what that is doing in an electronics forum.

The advantage over the normal air horns is that they can be topped up from a footpump, and they weigh nearly nothing.

The downside is that they only last for about 30 blasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back