Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitors on an old Gigabyte ga-7dx+ rev. 1 mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebighat99

I found this old motherboard in the trash. Truth of it is I have all ready spent more money and time than I wanted to. In the picture you can see the caps that need to be replaced. When I went to the store (store is like 40miles away) I had forgotten my parts list and got 1200uf 6.3v caps and put them on the board. Today I found the parts list it should have been 1200uf 10v. :cry: small tear.

So can I get away with the lower voltage even for just long enough to see if it will boot? I know you should not use lower voltage if anything it should be higher. But I really don’t want to buy more caps for a board that may not even work. Any hope at all?

Thank you for any help in advance.

**broken link removed**

It depends what voltage rail they are on, if it's a 5V rail then they will be perfectly fine (permanently) - if it's higher than 6.3V then they will die fairly instantly.

I would imagine though they are on a 5V rail?.

Good point I didn't think of that I will try to trace the rail. But if it was 12v rail the caps would be larger than 10v I would think.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sometimes they go with a little higher voltage to get a little better ESR. If that is the case, the mobo may boot up but some time later shut down for seemingly no reason at all. If it can survive with the higher ESR however it may work forever :)

It fires up just fine all running good so far. Just hope I got the heat sink on right.

Thank you :) big smile.

Last edited:
Hi again,

You mean on the CPU? Yes those are a little tricky. I ran a mobo for years however with the CPU heatsink on too loose as the lever was not pulled all the way to where it should have been to make the heat sink push on tight.
That was a single core CPU btw.
Good luck with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back