capacitors connected to rectifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcheetah

ive seen a couple of power supplies in which capacitors are connected in parallel to the diodes of a full wave rectifier. what is the purpose of these capacitors.

ive heard someone saying that these capacitors should be soldered directly onto the leads of the diodes of the rectifier. why is that so?

and what are these capacitors called???? (is it snubber capacitor)

I've no idea what they are called (or even if they have a name at all?), but they are there to help prevent mains spikes damaging the rectifiers. I've certainly seen plenty of short circuit mains rectifers, so I don't know if they help or not - but presumably they don't do any harm.

I never fit them in anything I build, and I've never had a rectifier fail, but a small number of projects, used occasionally, hardly compares with millions of commercial units powered up 24 hours a day!.

I agree with Nigel, and would add that they are installed more for reasons of meeting RFI and safety standards than for alot else. Sort of a belts and braces approach to engineering.

odd?

If it was a thyristor bridge those caps (with a resistor and a diode) would be a snubber since the Thyristor is a controlled switched and a snubber might be needed.

however, it sounds like these are EMC caps, prob small value and ceramic. They need to be close to the diode leads to reduce stray inductance between point of interest and the capacitor

Actually, they are to prevent spikes caused by the rectifiers' reverse recovery characteristics. Here's something I found:
Also, do a Google search on 'rectifier "reverse recovery"'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…