Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

I have a capacitor but i don't have a multimeter to measure it.

Q1> Can i know the capacitance value without using a multimeter if yes how?

The only clue i have is there is a labeling in it 334K and its color is green its bigger than ordinary capacitor as shown in attachment.

Attachments

• 0.33uf.jpg
    0.33uf.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 294
if it is only 0.33uf, then why it bigger than normal capacitor??

It might be rated for a higher voltage than the capacitors you're comparing it to.

Your "normal" capacitor has a cheap dielectric and a wide tolerance. The green capacitor is better for demanding uses.

It is likely a film capacitor. They are much larger for a given value, but they have very good characteristics (tolerance, linearity, dielectric absorption, usually handle lots of voltage, etc).

The third digit gives you the multiplier in picofarads. So a 334 is 33 with 4 zeros or 330000 pf. Now just convert to your favorite farad. For example to go from pico 330000pf x (1uf/1 x 10^6pf) = .33 since the pf's cancel in the equation, your left with uf, hence .33uF.

Of course, after using these parts for awhile, you won't need any math. It will just come to you :)

Last edited:
It's a mylar film capacitor.

These used to be popular in audio circuits but are gradually being replaced by polypropylene which is more compact.

Thanks for replying everyone

I recall that in the capacitor it was written 334k. I understand its 0.33uf.

Q> anyone has any idea what k stand for in 334k?

Try here
**broken link removed**

Google is a great thing.

The K means 10% tolerance, which means that the actual capacitance is within 10% of 0.33μF. Take a look at this chart by Dean Huster.

B = ±0.1pF
C = ±0.25pF
D = ±0.5pF
E = ±0.25%
F = ±1.0%
G = ±2%
H = ±2.5%
J = ±5% *
K = ±10% *
L = ±15%
M = ±20% *
N = ±30%