Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecto

Which type of capacitor is in general use today in electronics?
Manganese, Polyvinyl, Mylar or Carbon

Hello,

If it is being sold somewhere then it is probably in use somewhere. Ceramic caps are widely used in almost very electronic device today for example. Electrolytic caps too.

I have seen many manganese batteries but not any capacitors.
Poly is plastic and also is vinyl and mylar and are good for capacitors that are coupling audio.
Nobody makes a carbon capacitor but some small resistors are made of carbon film.

Electrolytic capacitors are common for high values.
Ceramic capacitors are used in every radio and TV circuit.
Tantalum capacitors were used 30 years ago but they caused problems (they blew up).

Tantalum capacitors were used 30 years ago but they caused problems (they blew up).
We use many high reliability tantalum caps in the military satellite our company builds so I guess they've improved them from the ones built 30 years ago.

Below 1uF capacitance ceramic capacitors are used,while the value equal to or greater 1uF capacitance electrolytic capacitors are used.This is according to my practical experience.

I use fairly high value electrolytic capacitors as a rectified supply filter.
I use ceramic capacitors as a supply bypass for ICs. I also use low value ceramic capacitors in radio circuits.
I use metalized plastic film capacitors for audio coupling and in audio filters.

The type of capacitor used is purely depends on the purpose and circuit. Mostly we use ceramic and electrolytic capacitor, rarely paper and mylar capacitors are used, As crutschow said, tantalum capacitors are highly reliable . don you came across the word, 'tantalum timing capacitor' . if you have any doubts regarding the coding of the capacitor follow the link.
**broken link removed**

I use ceramic capacitors for supply bypassing in high frequency circuits. I also use them for tuning high frequency circuits.
I use metalized plastic film capacitors for audio coupling because they do not change value with voltage changes (which causes distortion) and also not have dielectric absorption (which changes the biasing). Ceramic capacitors act like a microphone sometimes which is bad.
I use electrolytic capacitors with a high value for supply filtering.
I used tantalum capacitors 35 years ago but stopped because they all blew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back