Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor keeps wanting to blow on power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

frosr6

Hi I built this power supply just recently from the circuit designed by earckens that he had designed about 5 years ago.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com...n-voltage-of-0-00v.150216/page-3#post-1294887

I have it working for the most part but ran into an issue of a capacitor that keeps getting hot and swelling up. The capacitor is is c8 on the schematic. I was testing the current limit and when I go anywhere lower than 9vdc at right around 18 amps the capacitor which is an electrolytic (100v/100uf) starts high pitch whining gets hot and swells up. I’ve replaced it but same thing. Would some metal film capacitors work? Any suggestions?

I’m using a big 1.0kva transformer that has 12/24 secondary taps. Which I have hooked up to a relay and volt sensing circuit that switches the taps automatically to reduce heat on my transistor’s. For those I’m using 2n5686, nine of them on large heat sinks.

Attachments

• 964E9C9B-F170-41B2-8856-0A6782918FFD.png
    964E9C9B-F170-41B2-8856-0A6782918FFD.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Any suggestions?
You might try high ripple-current rated, low ESR capacitors designed for use in switching regulators.
The higher ESR of standard electrolytic capacitors can overheat at the high ripple currents that often occur in switching supplies.

What do you see on scope on C8 when first powered up ?

Regards, Dana.
I never checked it. The first one got hot bulged up and I replaced it thinking it was just a bad one then last night I was messing around with it and the second one bulged up. I shut it down and went to bed. I may change it out later today but seeing if anyone had seen a problem with my setup.

You might try high ripple-current rated, low ESR capacitors designed for use in switching regulators.
The higher ESR of standard electrolytic capacitors can overheat at the high ripple currents that often occur in switching supplies.
From what I’ve been reading it sounds like you may be spot on. Idk what the ratings are for the caps I have but they’re just ordinary electrolytic ones. I’ll have to look for some. Thanks.

Unless I am mistaken this is a linear regulator application ?

But to your point if the regulator is oscillating at low V OP discusses that cap
may be inadequate to handle the oscillation current/V......

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back