Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy_not

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem and i need some advice here. I have a plasma tv that has a serious buzz in a capacitor on the board. I have switched it with a "non buzzing" cap from the unit and it the replacement cap buzzes as well. Is there anything i can do do reduce the buzz. it buzzes more when showing white ont he screen. Is something shaking / vibrating inside the cap?
What do you think
Is it over powered / underpowered.

What type of capacitor is it, what does it look like?

If it is a ceramic, it might just be like that. I've seen several class 2 dielectric caps buzz in various applications with high enough ripple current, most recently in a 60W DC/DC converter.

It is an orange capacitor. here is a pic they are the four ones glues together on the right.
**broken link removed**

It looks more red to me.

They look like film capacitors so I wouldn't expect them to buzz.

Are you sure the buzz isn't coming from the inductors?

Thank you Hero999 i hope you can be my hero..Thank you for your response.
I used an old trick using a screw driver resting against my ear to find the buzz and its coming from the capacitors. I know there is a problem with the board itself but i want to be able to track it down. Do you know what would cause a cap to buzz.

My guess it's something that is under the heatsinks buzzing, and just transferring to the caps. Never seen caps buzz at all, unless they were arcing.

I can't even think what might cause a mylar/film cap to buzz.

Thats a very good answer. I do think that whatever is the source of the buzz is the under the heat sink. It happens to be the Main IC for the YSUS board for the plasma. how is it possible for the buzz to transfer to teh caps. Would it be possible because of a high frequency not being filtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back