Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can you give me idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_ECE

hi, we are engineering students,can you give me idea? we decided to build a wireless system to control the lights,appliances of a house by using a mobile phone (cell phone) its that possible? thanks a lot:eek:

Yes, it's possible.

These cellphone requests are starting to make me nervous, almost every week, a new one. Homeland Security stated something was in the works for the holidays...

HarveyH42 said:
These cellphone requests are starting to make me nervous, almost every week, a new one. Homeland Security stated something was in the works for the holidays...

Yeah. Sounds just like the last 5 Christmas seasons. ;)

Not that nobody is planning anything, but Hanlon's Razor comes to mind:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

But we must remember not to just go whistling past the graveyard, so maybe Heinlein's Razor is more appropriate:

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.

(Note: both quotes are generally attributed to Heinlein.)

I honestly think that the majority of these requests come from people bright enough to realize that a cellphone is a handy and available remote control unit for simple purposes but without the training, experience, or drive to figure it out for themselves. Maybe they even got the idea from news reports of bombers using them to detonate bombs: "hey, if you can detonate with it, you should be able to use it to <insert innocuous idea here>". Some percentage of these posts may well be from wannabe terrorists, but if so, they can't be terribly well-trained in remaining covert. :)

Torben

Some phones have a built-in RS232 port. Unless you want to get a GSM-card, which is very expensive.

well, yeah, it is possible, you would have to sinc all your appliances, and program it to do so, but yeah, you can do anything! especially if bill gates made millions on microsoft, woo. you go to engineering school? that is so cool! i am only in highschool, and they really dont offer any classes like that. >.>

hallo, thanks all- hey it project design purpose not a terrorist purpose, me and my co-member decided to build a multi-functional system to control the light,appliance in the house.... is it possible to build that system?

AND_ECE said:
hallo, thanks all- hey it project design purpose not a terrorist purpose, me and my co-member decided to build a multi-functional system to control the light,appliance in the house.... is it possible to build that system?

Yes it is possible if this IC still available in the market & your land telephone line still have plug type 4 pin connector.:D

The IC is MT8870.

Last edited:
well i have done that project. But I built a bluetooth remote and write a software in NOKIA 6600 to control room lights. It worked fine. Your project is not 2 diffrent. I used a 8051 microcontroller to control relays. on the reciever end. and the bluetooth reciever module was purchased.

let me try to explain ...

to control the lights,appliances of a house by using a mobile phone (cell phone)

there are two possibilities either you want to do it with the bluetooth/IR feature of the mobile phone.

Or you want the GSM SIM connectivity to be used as communication.

The first one is a bit easy.

Second one is a bit difficult
for that you need a cell that let you connect it with a serial(rs232) port. So what we do is that we connect the cell with a microcontroller or FPGA.

Just think that you set your mobile to auto call pick feature and connect its headphone port with a 12 band frequency detector circuit(used for DTMF detection in digital landline phones) and then connect it to a micro controller or fpga where you check which frequency has been detected by the frequency detector and corresondingly turn ON/OFF the relays that in turn turn ON/OFF the appliances.

Now you call ur cell from any location in the world , the call will be picked up automatically and on the caller end you press (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 * or #) any of the key. the frequency associated with it will be transmited and it the controller on the other end will get to know which key u have pressed then it will turn ON/OFF the respective Appliance.

Soooooooooo. You need an appropraite cell for that porpose.:D

I'll say bluetooth is the best answer. Get a bluetooth reciever for your PC and program a code for the cellphone to emit codes and a program for the computer to recieve the code and turn the lights or whatever.
I saw something similar once. A cellphone with bluetooth that could controll another cellphone, so I guess you could do it with your PC.

replace computer with a microcontroller/FPGA. because using computer will make the project very simple. I Think AND_ECE is looking for a dense final year project for his engineering.

siiisooo said:
hiii dear,,,realy I have done this project already and It worked nicely,,,if realy you r want it Iam ready to give you the complete circuit just contact me.....

oh really may i see that circuit you can send into may private message rather here soo that everybody can debate your project

wowowowo siiisoooo:D

blueroomelectronics said:
AND_ECE are you walters?

if he isn't walters, i think he is probably Siiisooo, they both seem to be speaking the same language which i cant understand, mabye they are both walters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back