Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone tell me if this Robot is real or a Mannequin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks to me like a mannequin with a whole bunch of expensive sensors and eyes movement, and perhaps arms movement........ But she can't balance.... so that means no walking....

Looking good though.... I will wait until the price goes unde $100 and it knows how to cook and clean jejejeje.... :lol:

Are you THAT gullible?

C'mon guys, it's a mannequin! The photos showing components are not in "Valerie". The robotic hand photo is a dead givaway. It's as wide as the male hand in the photo with it and nearly twice as thick. There is no way that hand is in "Valerie". Did you notice, in all the photos, she never once changes her body, arm, leg or hand position? and, NONE of the photos show her doing what she is said to be capable of. The robot face photos aren't even the same face as the one on "Valerie". Do you honestly believe that a robot as complex as "Valerie" claims to be, would only be $59k? It's either a gag or a ripoff. :shock:

Not sure about you all, but if I could get 4 suckers to send me 1/2 of $59,000 I might be tempted to skip and run with the cash. I know where Denton Texas is and I am quite sure they do not have a major Android production center there, nor is there likely to be one anytime soon.
Smells like either a scam or hoax.
Dialtone

I am surprised anyone thinks this guy is for real.

I would have thought everyone would realize this is a hoax, its pretty obvious. What amazes me is the fact that this website is a well-known and RESPECTED android/robotics website. This guy is planning on running with the money if anyone is gullible enough to fall for it. Apparently two people already have, although I doubt the sincerity of this claim.

One last thing. I work for Honda of America and our android "Asimo" is not nearly as 'sophisticated' as this 'Valerie' purports to be. Yet it cost us OVER $20 million to get him where he is now. Think about it, does this Valerie look like something thats even possible yet? Of course not.

I have to agree with the last post, it took Honda and Sony at least a decade (if not more) to get where they are now in their robotics research (not to mention serious R&D investment). Having the bipedal unit stand balanced without falling and walk is an achievement to itself...
Just take a look at QRIO here **broken link removed** and you'll see how far from cleaning, washing and giving your "more free time" robotics and AI is.

Fake Android

Guys and Gals.....Please
Why is this a MANNEQUIN ???
Apart from all the little bits and pieces like the fact that the hands are all wrong and the unnatural way of balance in all the pics the DEVELOPER / PRESIDENT cannot even write decent code in HTML let alone any other programming language like JAVA or Visual Basic or C.

What a FRAUD.
Ronin

Remarkabel , she has not aged a day since the first time I saw her website FIVE YEARS ago..
:lol:

:lol: Yeah, ok. I'll believe that in about 2070. Hey, wait a minute! That's no "Valerie"!! That's Michael Jackson! :D :lol:

P.S. conn110, I agree, I saw that too. It's probably not even metal! I'll bet it's a big, fat worthless hunk of plastic. Show me a movie of this thing in action or maybe even a few more pictures with her in a DIFFERENT POSITION at least!!! Guy's don't believe this. Ever. They say it's due out around Christmas of this year, so wait 'till then, so you can see it's a fake. If your looking for something to blow a big chunk of money on, and really, really don't have anything better to do with it, go ahead and buy it to see if it's real or not. But I can guarantee you, it's a rip-off. :wink:

Rain

Edit: Ah yes, I just saw the two videos they have... they are only of the hand. Without even any skin. Hmm... I wonder why... could it maybe be... let's see, um... what's the word...? FAKE!!!??? :p Hey, did you guys see the second video? It can flip someone off! :D Someone could use that to mount on their car for when they're stuck in traffic! :lol:

I've done some research on this one...

As unlikely as this seems. This one's For real! After stumbling upon the site I contacted the engineer/inventor. I was extremely skeptical, but intrigued.

I've had dinner with the guy. After dinner and a fairly lengthy onversation about the underlying architecture, he showed me the bot IN PERSON.

It's amazing and legit!

If you believe that's real, send $1 to "Happy Dude," care of Homer J. Simpson, aka Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay! You have the power!

j.

Similar to Honda/Fraction of the budget

Look - All you fools who think you know everything, should stop pontificating until you've spoken with the creator (or seen the unit). As I mentioned in my previous post. I was extremely skeptical. UNTIL I ARRANGED FOR A MEETING. Needless to say the bot's not perfect. But it is infact a functioning robot. Similar in a lot of ways to what Honda has been doing. The incredible thing is that apparently, this was achieved with a fraction of the budget.

[ LOOK, I HAVE NO CONNECTION TO THIS PROJECT. BUT< AFTER SEEING IT MYSELF I"D HATE TO SEE THIS DISMISSED AS A HOAX ]

I think anyone who has done any programming would be simply dumbstruck by the programming language as shown on the web site. There is only one word which I could use to describe it and that word would have to be, "unbelievable" :lol:

Look - All you fools who think you know everything, should stop pontificating until you've spoken with the creator (or seen the unit). As I mentioned in my previous post. I was extremely skeptical. UNTIL I ARRANGED FOR A MEETING. Needless to say the bot's not perfect. But it is infact a functioning robot. Similar in a lot of ways to what Honda has been doing. The incredible thing is that apparently, this was achieved with a fraction of the budget.

I would take that as an insult, except that it's coming from a person whose other thread is:

Assembly Language?! F#$^K that! How do I learn this???

j.

elliottearls, listen, there's no way for us to believe that this is real. For all we know, you could be working for the creator or even be the creator himself. You could even just be someone that desided to defend this android because YOU think it's real. I don't know. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but let's all just wait 'till Christmas, and see if this thing starts showing up on TV and eBay. If it does, it will surely be "The next big thing." :wink:

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back