Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I get my 400v arc welder to run on 230v

Status
Not open for further replies.

walrus65

Hi, I've got an old transformer type 300 amp two phase arc welder that runs on volts,but I'd like to get it to run on 230v,when I took the top of it off I notice it has two primary windings(which seem to be the same size I'll check resistance) which are in series with two phases connected across them,I'm wondering if I get a 32amp fuse put on sw/board with 6mm wire and heavy duty plug and put the two primary windings in parallel would my welder run on 230v,or will that be 30volts to much on each primary and would it cause a problem.

It's actually running on two 230v phases at the moment. The two phases are joined in the middle (called the Neutral) and if you measure between the outer of one phase and the outer of the other phase, you get 415v.
Just connect one of the phases (the outer of one phase and a neutral to the 230v and you will get the welder to work but at an output of 230 x 30 = 6900watts. Use the lower voltage tapping and you will get sufficient current to do medium tasks.

If its the style I am thinking of the transformer looks like a large rectangle of laminated steel sheets with the coils on opposite sides from each other. That design is actually a single phase welder so just putting the windings in parallel will most likely work fine. As far as the voltage mis match goes welders are typically rather forgiving about over voltage conditions on the inputs due to their intended aplication being to regulate a controlled short circuit on the secondary side.

You might get a slightly hotter weld and a slightly reduced duty cycle but it should work anyway. Try it and find out then you will know for certain if it works or not. :)

You have to get hte phasing correct. There is really no point in paralleling the primaries as 3-phase can deliver a higher current and the primary winding will be adequate for single phase.

What brand and model is it?

I worked as a service tech for a large welding supply chain a few years ago and I have a large referance library of welder service manuals and related technical referance information for most of the major brands sold world wide in the last 50 years. So there is a chance I may have a full schematics and service file for your welder unless its really old or some generic off brand.

Last edited:
Hi,thanks again for all replies,I finally got around to taking it apart to have a closer look and found that what I was originally looking at on top (that I thought were primary windings) were in fact two big capacitors which are connected in parallel,after lifting these capacitors off I could see the primary winding which is only one big winding and it has two phase connected across it (ie 400 volts) there is no neutral , the original old plug was a three phase and earth,but only had two phases coming in from the plug.
so anyway it looks like I can't really do much except connect it to 230v and see if I have a hot enough arc to weld maybe,
I think trying to boost my voltage is probably not feasible

oh yeah (tcmtech) the name of the brand is young and co k series,which is a New Zealand brand and it is pretty old model,so I'd imagine you probably wouldn't have any manual for it,but thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back