Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can a variable speed controller run a relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtmtntop

i have a tekmar 157 controller which runs the primary pump for a solar array at a variable speed. i was wondering if i can run a 120 v relay off of this lead. i am unsure if varying the speed affects the voltage or amperage. if it reduces the voltage, i do not think it can operate the coil. anyone know? thanks

i have a tekmar 157 controller which runs the primary pump for a solar array at a variable speed. i was wondering if i can run a 120 v relay off of this lead. i am unsure if varying the speed affects the voltage or amperage. if it reduces the voltage, i do not think it can operate the coil. anyone know? thanks
tekmar Difference Setpoint Control 157
I can't tell from this link.
Relays generally pull in at 2/3rds rated voltage and drop out at 1/3rd rated v.

Can you use the secondary pump output in Mode1 to drive the relay?

The 157 has a second 120 V (ac) powered output wired
through the back of the control for an on/off pump. The
second pump has 4 adjustable modes of operation
depending on the application.

Mode 1 Heat Exchanger is for applications where the
heat exchanger pump is needed to transfer heat between
an external heat exchanger and the storage tank. The heat
exchanger pump relay will operate whenever the variable
speed pump is above 0% output. Refer to application
A157-2.

Last edited:
no, that won't work. i wanted to open a zone valve when the primary pump was activated. it looks like i may have to do this via an aquastat and temp sensor.

on second thought maybe it will. re reading your post, it has power whenever the pump 1 is operating greater than zero. i hadn't thought of using the p2 lead. thanks alot! i guess i need to read the instructions more creatively next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back