Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a PIC16F84 be programmed in a PIC16C84 Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

weegee

As topic title:

Can i program pic16F84 devices in my programmer that says pic16C84 on it- i am still trying to get used to the PIC way of doing things - i tend to use the oopic for developmeng, and it dosn't need a programmer :)

weegee said:
As topic title:

Can i program pic16F84 devices in my programmer that says pic16C84 on it- i am still trying to get used to the PIC way of doing things - i tend to use the oopic for developmeng, and it dosn't need a programmer :)

The programmer is the same, but the software required is different - as long as your existing software can be set to 16F84 you should have no problem.

It is a maplin programmer - built from a kit if that helps?

I just dont want to blow up my only pic on it!

Will look at software shortly

falleafd said:
There were some programmer cannot program for F84 such as SNOOPP or NOPP, it's built for C84 only.

The only problem is the software, the programmer hardware is the same for both C84 and F84 - in fact (from what I can remember) the only real software difference is in the fuse settings.

weegee said:
It is a maplin programmer - built from a kit if that helps?

I just dont want to blow up my only pic on it!

Will look at software shortly

The Maplin programmer was a direct copy of the original David Tait design (without ever asking permission!), as such it's not one of the best, the design had been improved years before the Maplin version.

I don't know what software comes with it, but WinPicProg should work OK - but you would need to work out the settings, the original David Tait design was a little strange! - but David never claimed to be a hardware designer.

Thanx Guys

Hopefully be up and running real soon, just need to make up a cable for it - im a cheap skate and refuse to pay £15 for 2 connectors and a metre of wire.

weegee said:
Thanx Guys

Hopefully be up and running real soon, just need to make up a cable for it - im a cheap skate and refuse to pay £15 for 2 connectors and a metre of wire.

CPC do nice cheap leads, and for that matter I've just bought one to use on a PIC programmer at work - under £4 from RS Components!, 25 way male to female D connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back