Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a dual power supply op amp use as a single rail power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noname06

Is it possible for TL082 op amp to be connected to a single rail power supply although it is a dual power supply? What is the minimum power supply needed to make the TL082 op amp works as my minimum voltage is only 2.5V.

THanks

You can use a boost converter to boost the voltage as long as you have some extra current to give. You can also use something similar to invert the voltage so that you have a dual rail power supply. 2.5V is a bit low for the majority of boost converters so you may need to cascade a couple of converters so that the first one boosts the voltage level to a point that the second converter to use. If you look hard enough you may find one that will boost the voltage to the level you need directly from 2.5V.

I need to build a battery protection circuit using schmitt trigger. My Vin range is around 2.5V to 4.2V. I am only provided a power supply to power up my op amp using the Vin value. I also need to fixed my Vref using the Vin. I think of using zener diode to breakdown the voltage however my maximum voltage is only 4.2V. Therefore i need to boost up my voltage.

If you are trying to use the TL082 as a comparator, forget it. I've tried and it doesn't work as a comparator. You can use a comparator as a comparator very easily but the voltage range is still an issue. I think that what you need (if you can use another IC) is an ICL7665 for your battery protection. It works down to 1.6V and has 2 comparators that can be programed to trip at a specific voltage. It has an internal refference of 1.3V so all you need to do is have a simple resistor network to program the trip point. It is a very easy IC to use and sounds like it would be perfect for your aplication.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/10/ICL7665-1.pdf

i am not allowed to use any direct IC with the protection circuit function. I need to build it manually therefore i think of using schmitt trigger. Any op amp that you know can produce schmitt trigger and low power supply?

Use an LM10. It is an opamp and an adjustable voltage reference in an 8-pins case, through hole or surface mount. Its minimum supply is 1.1V and its output is almost rail-to-rail. Its opamp can be used as a comparator.

It is perfect to detect when a low voltage battery is fully charged or discharged too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back